Tuesday, May 26, 2009

v25.6: Long Time... - 9

Morning folks,

-slurp-

I'm still here.  I had Friday off in lieu of the Victoria Day holiday I missed last week and then yesterday I was out sick with back pain.  Of course I'm not letting that stop me and my workout is going ahead as per usual.

-slurp-

Today is day 9; we are now officially 10% of the way through P90X!  I'm actually quite excited about it.  The exercise program this week is the same as last week and I'm finding already that some of the exercises are a lot easier on me than before.  Also, those jeans that were a little bit too tight on me are now loose and comfortable.  While we may have relaxed on the diet a little bit, we are still eating healthy foods and not snacking in the evening before bed.  I've noticed a significant improvement in my own appetite and I'm finding I have more self control over the foods I eat.  Rather than reaching for that big bag of delicious cookies with chunks of chocolate and a huge smiling mouth saying, "Eat ME Eat ME Eat ME"; I'm closing the cupboard and getting a glass of water or in some cases, a piece of fruit.  My body thinks it needs those delicious chocolate chunk cookies but my brain is telling it no; this is the hardest part of this transformation.

-slurp-

That's what I'm going to be calling this; our transformation.  You see, not only have I started eating better and working out every day; I've also eliminated the WoW addiction.  I have limited myself to playing one night a week right now which is fine by me.  As a substitute my wife and I started playing a game called Free Realms put out by Sony.  I believe I may have written about this game in a previous musing.  This game is "almost" free.  I say almost because if you really want to experience the game in its fullest, you must pay a $4.99/month fee.  The game is free otherwise and there are many things you can do in the free "version" which are just fine.  One nice thing I like about the game is the way the combat system works.  There are no aggressive monsters in the world to worry about; basically, you find a monster you want to fight, you initiate what they call a "Mini Game" and in this mini game  you go through an encounter with a monster (or many monsters depending on the encounter).  When you've completed the objective, you are transported back to the world where you were and continue on.  This means while I'm travelling from Point A to Point B and I need to step away for something, I can do it and there is no worry about being attacked while not at my keyboard.  There are a lot of other fun things about the game that I won't go into here; but I urge you to check it out if you're interested.

-slurp-

I will say one last thing about Free Realms though; it isn't addictive.  I can put it down and walk away and do something and when I have a few moments of free time I can sit down and play it.  It is very easy to play as it is really geared toward the  younger crowd and caters very heavily to children.  In fact, the game starts out with a voice guided tutorial of the game and how to interact and move around; my 6 year old daughter was able to sit down and easily "master" the mechanics of the game very quickly and has her own account which is linked to my email address so I can monitor and protect her online access.  I'm a gamer at heart and one would be foolish to think that I could eliminate gaming entirely from my life; I will always play games until the day I die.

-slurp-

Speaking of gaming, I saw an advertisement on the television the other day for Punch Out for the Wii.  For those of you who lived in the time of Nintendo and remember Mike Tyson's Punch Out (later named just Punch Out), you'll appreciate this new (old) game.  Basically, the same guy from the original Punch Out is back and they have brought back a bunch of the old characters from the original like King Hippo and Piston Honda.  They have also added a few new characters but I haven't heard anything on those yet.  I was so excited about this new game that I went and downloaded an NES emulator for my PSP and downloaded both versions of Punch Out and started playing it within minutes on my PSP.  Ahh the memories.

-slurp-

Well folks, just wanted to fire off a quick musing this morning.  My mind is still foggy from the last 4 days of nothing.  If you don't exercise your brain on a regular basis, you end up getting sloth brain and can't concentrate or think quickly.  I have sloth brain this morning and it is because I haven't written anything or exercised my brain in video games.  Perhaps a day at work where I'm being pummled by mindless pointless tasks will help liven me up.

-slurp-

Until next time

Cheers,
Al

No comments:

Post a Comment