Wednesday, May 20, 2009

v25.4: Turkey Bacon - 3

Morning folks,

-slurp-

Since starting our new diet/workout training I have been introduced to many new foods and combinations.  One new food, that I don't believe I've ever had before, is the turkey bacon strip.  Now I don't know about you but when I think of the word "bacon", I don't think of a Turkey.

-slurp-

Of course this got me thinking.  Perhaps the word bacon is not food, but a method for preparing food; similar to pickle.  After a few minutes of Googling for it, all I could find were references to pig meat:

Bacon: Bacon is a cut of meat taken from the sides, belly, or back of a pig that has been cured, smoked, or both.


This was not the answer I was looking for so I decided to check out the definition of Turkey Bacon and here is what I found:

Turkey Bacon: A meat product produced from smoked turkey, which has a similar appearance and flavor to traditional pork bacon, but is lower in calories and saturated fat. Because it contains less fat than pork bacon, turkey bacon shrinks less when cooked.


-slurp-

So in truth, Turkey Bacon is not really Bacon at all based on the definition of Bacon.  It does, however, resemble Bacon which is why it got the name Bacon added to it.  Interesting?  Not really.

-slurp-

Some of you know me and know that I don't usually stop there.  I needed to find out what other kinds of "Bacon" exist in our society.  I was quite surprised to say the least; in addition to Pig and Turkey Bacon, you can also get Beef Bacon, Lamb Bacon (baaa baaa black sheep), Chicken Bacon and Goat Bacon.  I suspect that if you can get "Bacon" from a wide variety of animals then any edible animal can produce a type of "Bacon".

-slurp-

Switching gears a bit here.  Today was day 3 of P90X and this morning was Arms and Shoulders followed by Ab Ripper X.  Waking up at 5 AM is getting a little bit easier but only when you go to bed early.  Last night I was "in bed" by 9 PM but didn't fall asleep until almost Midnight.  I'm a night person AND a morning person which means I stay up late, wake up early and pay the price throughout the day.  Usually I have a nap in the middle of the day when I'm not working... hell, who am I kidding?  I have this talent where I can fall asleep at my desk with my eyes open and type on my keyboard for hours.  In fact, I'm doing it right NOW!

-slurp-

I find it funny to go back and read previous musings.  Sometimes I scan through an old archive of musings and I get a laugh out of the things I wrote.  Truth be told, I barely remember writing any of it so to me it is almost like reading something new.  That just goes to show you that when I write, I write to forget which is something a lot of us do.  Not so much because we want to forget, but if we don't write it down we WILL forget and sometimes we forget things that are quite important.

-slurp-

I have a notebook at work that I write things down in all the time.  I have a lot of things I need to keep track of and the only way I can keep track of everything is to write it down.  I set up reminders in Google mail which syncs with my BlackBerry so I don't forget important meetings or task deadlines.  I know that tomorrow morning at 9 AM my BlackBerry is going to go off to remind me to do my weekly status report for my team and send it to my boss.  It is little things like this that help people to become productive efficient.  It won't do you any good to sit there and dwell on tasks you need to get done; you need to prioritize the tasks by most important and then schedule them.  Set up reminders if that helps you or write them down in order of importance and cross them off your list when you're done.

-slurp-

In the run of an average day, I have approximately 20 tasks I need to do every day.  Since I've been doing this job for quite some time now, I have them memorized and rarely forget any of them.  There are a few tasks that I don't do every day and those are the ones that I need to be reminded about so I don't forget them.  I do this with Google Calendar which, as I already mentioned, syncs with my BlackBerry.  If I'm in a meeting or not at my desk, my BlackBerry reminds me that I have something to do.  If I'm busy at the moment and the task can wait, I tell my BlackBerry to remind me again in 15 minutes (or 30 or an hour depending on importance) and I continue on knowing that I will get that reminder and I can continue to concentrate on what I'm doing.

-slurp-

Anyway folks, the time on the clock tells me it is time to get some work done.  Hope you all have a great day!

-slurp-

Cheers,
Al

2 comments:

  1. /tap is this thing on? Long time reader first time poster. Quick question...did the turkey bacon actually taste like real bacon? Also a site comment the dialog box I'm typing in now has black type on a dark blue field making it very hard to see what I'm typing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yikes, you're right! I'll see about changing that font to a white or something to make commenting easier. To answer your question, yes, oddly enough, the Turkey Bacon tastes eerily similar to regular Pig Bacon; I was quite surprised as usually things that are good for you taste horrible.

    ReplyDelete