Tuesday, April 19, 2005

v3.4 - Burning the Midnight Oil

Morning Folks,

{slurp}

Welcome to the Musing Over Coffee v3.4 edition live from Calgary, Alberta, Canada!! I''ll be your host today as we have a very special episode planned for you. Did you know Bill Gates'' first business was Traff-O-Data, a company that created machines which recorded the number of cars passing a given point on a road? Neither did I! An even better question, who really cares? :)

{slurp}



What a cold day out there today. Weather channel has predicted it is going to be in the mid teens (celcius) but I''ll believe it when I see it. Right now it is sitting around -2 Celcius (28.4 Fahrenheit) so its pretty cold out there.

I didn''t stop at my usual Timmy''s this morning on my way to work. I thought I was going to be a bit early (for a change) and when I pulled into the usual Tim''s, I was greeted with no less than 20 cars in front of me in the lineup. I looked at it and immediatly turned around and headed to the next. I ended up going to the Tim''s near my work and I must say it is an aweful brew. For starters, it tastes like it has been in the pot for hours. I know this because the coffee tastes burnt and is hotter than the blazes of ... a fire! Not impressed by any means, but its coffee right? :)

{slurp}

So I finally fixed the issue with my mail server last night. Most of you are probably in heaven right now as you have 3 musings waiting for you :) (2 as of the writing of this one). No, I didn''t forget about you guys and just because I was having server issues didn''t stop me from writing. Fear not, the musings will continue and hopefully I don''t run into any more challenges with my server and this one goes out as it should.

{slurp}

So my boss has returned from a week long adventure to our companies Dallas office. There were a lot of people anxiously waiting to hear what was said and hear about what the heck is going on. To be honest, I expected a LOT more and was really really disappointed to hear the same shit we''ve heard for the last several years. This company, from my perspective, has less values than GE had when they didn''t even want us. The direction this company is starting to take is not sitting well with me these days. Its one thing to work and enjoy your job, its another thing to work for a company that outright lies to your face. I could sit here and say I''ll give them until this date to come around and then when that day comes around I''ll give a different date in the future. In the end, a year or so will go by and I''ll still be sitting here bitching about the same old issues and the same old people.

{slurp}

Therefore, I suck it up and move on. I don''t give the company any time to "come around" as I don''t feel that will ever happen. I carry on and do my job preparing myself for the next gig that comes along. Hell, I may even do a complete about face and make a career change. Who knows what will happen at this poing.

{slurp}

Last night was a pretty stressful evening for me. My Kids, how I love them so, decided to test every thread of my being yesterday (more my daughter than my son) and I was beginning to lose patience with them. I want to be firm with them so they know who the boss is, but I also want to be gentle as they won''t be this young ever again. Each new day brings new discoveries and as I miss each day I miss out on something wonderful. Of course I can''t be at home all the time to see them grow, but I do get to spend time with them in the evenings and that seems to be when the most "learning" takes place. My daughter is such a funny kid, she makes up these little jokes and tells them to me all the time. Of course, she is the only one that finds them funny and they typically end up with me being a big poo poo head or something :) Lots of fun but a pain in the ass at the same time. Wouldn''t change it for the world.

{slurp}

Played some World of Warcraft last night. I had planned on playing my Druid for a little bit but I''ve been getting this itch to play my Hunter lately and get him to level 50. I loaded him up and asked if anyone needed any assistance. I ended up heading out with a few friends and did a few quests in Stranglethron. This brings up a good beef I have with this game. There is a certain type of quest that is just a major pain in the ass. The quest type is go gather xx amount of Item X from Mob X and bring them to NPC X. So we head out to kill Mob X so we can pick up 12 of Item X. For starters, since there was 3 of us doing this quest, we only got loot 1 in 3 kills. That is fine, but the fact that in that 1-in-3 the item actually dropped maybe 1-in-5. Do the math :) We would have to kill the same mobs 15 times for us to get 1 Item X and we needed to collect 12 of these. I hate these kinds of quests as well as the quests that spawn these objects and you have to take turn! s in a group picking them up so everyone gets one. These quests (IMO) are better done solo which is damn near impossible to do unless the quest is green/grey to you (which this one was to me). Unfortunatly, the level you get the quest is fairly low and it would be quite difficult to solo.

{slurp}

I don''t like those kinds of quests and when I find one of those types I typically abaondon it right away. Maybe it is my impatient nature, but those types of quests make me grab the arms of my chair and shake like a leaf in a wind storm. I like action and exploration. I like quests where if you kill a damn mob EVERYONE can loot it to get the item they need. I think Blizzard to should make some changes to these types of quests. If the item needed for that quest drops, EVERYONE should be able to get 1 from that mob. If you have to use an item in the world and collect a bunch of Item Xs, then everyone should be able to use that item once, not one person use it and it disappears.

{slurp}

Of course, I''m not a developer, I''m just a lowly player. Other than the issues mentioned, I really enjoy the questing system in WoW. It is far superior than any other game I''ve played to date and a lot of fun. I wish I could find a way to organize everything and follow a path. As I mentioned we were in Stranglethorn last night. I walked into Booty Bay and noticed a TON of quests in there I could do. More quests than my quest journal would hold at one time. I didn''t really spend a lot of time in Stranglethorn and I''ve done maybe half a dozen quests in there to date. I almost feel I need to go back to the beginning and pick up all the quests I''ve missed starting from the noob zones and working my way up. Sure, the noob zone quests won''t give me anything useful, but who''s to say a quest I should have done at level 10 won''t affect the ability to get a quest at level 50? I don''t want to miss anything in this game so I''ll do what I can to achieve maximum benifit for my m! oney spent.

{slurp}

Anyway, moving along here. I stayed up fairly late last night working on the server after logging out of the game. As some of you are aware, my father and I purchased a brand new server from Dell recently for his Web Design company and my eventual hosting business. I am in the process of building a brand new website to launch the FiendZ dot NeT hosting services. I had planned on doing a little bit of web design as well but didn''t want to bog myself down too much especially with all the requests I''ve already gotten just by word of mouth. The reason I don''t go out and get a job as a web developer is because I lack certain knowledge in certain areas that web design companies are looking for. The big one being Flash animation. Personally, I hate flash websites as they tend to be bulky and slow. Personally, I would LOVE to work for a web design company that took things back to the basics and designed sites from the ground up using regular code and making them look 21st Ce! ntury without the need for all this fancy shit on the web today. Unfortunatly, no company like that exists (to my knowledge). Hmmmmm... I just mused myself a great idea! :)

{slurp}

Anyway gang, I need to bring this to a close for now. Hopefully you get this musing at the regular time and there are no more issues. Remember, Time flies when you''re having fun so have as much of it while at work as you can :)

Cheers,

Al

No comments:

Post a Comment