Friday, April 15, 2005

v3.2 - Live From Home

Morning Folks,

{slurp}

Today''s musing is brought to live from my home. That''s right!! I have the day off today!! WEEEEE

{slurp}



So there I was trolling the boards today and someone mentioned there was no musing this morning. Therefore, I decided today I would write despite the fact I''m not at work. So if the musing is a little late, you''ll understand. Right? RIGHT?!?

{slurp}

I decided yesterday that I needed a day off to relax and help get things ready for this weekend. We are having some friends and family over this weekend to celebrate my wife''s birthday. I hoping for a good time of food and fellowship and a few laughs. You can bet the Dragon will make an appearance and a lot of fun will be had by all.

{slurp}

Yesterday was my typical work day. We chatted about changes to our network, changes in our jobs and of course whatever else came up.

One of the changes at work has really started to raise some questions about the direction we are taking. Since we here in Canada have to fall under a different company name, we have all had our email address changed (AGAIN) to something different. That''s right folks, now everyone in the US belongs to compucom.com while we here in Canada are now part of ccsicompucom.com. So we had to go back to all our customers and let them know about this change (AGAIN) because our mother ship decided they wanted to seperate the entities. Remember, we all belong to the same company here. NOT

{slurp}

I''m not bitter though. I like it when corporations divide the company up into seperate entities because they have no clue how to treat the Red Headed Stepchild. CompuCom has proven time and time again they have no desire to grow our business up here and we get the cold shoulder everytime we ask for something to be done. Our setup here in Calgary is a law suite waiting to happen. Most of the techs where I work have wrist and hand issues from the shitty desks we sit at all day long. Our chairs leave my back in pins and needles every day and my hands always hurt from being cramped in an awkward position for the day. That and the air circulation in our building is quite horrible as well. You have to step outside at least every hour just to get a breath of fresh air so you don''t pass out.

{slurp}

I''m not bitter though :)

{slurp}

At least I''m bringing home a pay cheque right? Right?? RIGHT?!?

{slurp}

Hold on, these mugs don''t hold much coffee, need a refill.

{slurp}

Oh yeah, that tastes like crap.

{slurp}

{shudders}

Other than the crappy working conditions and the crummy company, I have no complaints at work. At least the people I work with are nice and we all get along and have fun. Making the best out of the worst I guess :)

My boss is down in Dallas this week getting some answers and meeting with some of the big wigs down there. We are really hoping for some answers on Monday. I know there are a few people in the office who are waiting to hear the "good word" from Dallas before making any decisions. I can foresee several people quitting over the next month if things turn out like we expect.

Will I quit? I can''t right now. That''s not to say I won''t quit if something better comes along, but I''m not actively searching for work right now. After speaking with a few co-workers, the feeling is mutual. We would all love to get some more money to bring us up to the standard wage for UNIX Administrators, we are also asking for better work facilities with proper ergonomics and all that stuff. Right now, to sit at ones desk for 8 hours every day would put is all in the hosptial. Not a good place to be, especially if you''re a corporation paying Workers Compensation.

{slurp}

Such is life.

{slurp}

So this weekend is looking to be a great time. I''m really looking forward to kicking back with some family and friends and just enjoying our time. No big plans other than that. I hope to get some gaming in this weekend and sitting back with the family and enjoying our time there as well. World of Warcraft has been a great stress relief for me. Of course I still get upset and angry about certain things, but not nearly as much as I did in DAoC. I have been playing WoW for just over a month now and DAoC is all but a distant memory to me. I watched an DAoC video a week ago which made the game look really good. I laughed at some of the scenes because there is NO way the game would look that good on my system. Unlike WoW, DAoC required a lot of horsepower to run with all the details on. Of course, the system requirements for that game are also stupid compared to WoW. WoW is nice, in that, you can run the game on an 800MHz machine with all the details turned off and it s! till looks nice. Crank all those details up and the game is STUNNING! My little 2.1GHz machine with nVidia 6600GT runs the game flawlessly with all details cranked (something DAoC wouldn''t do) and I sit back and enjoy the scenery and detail of the world around me.

{slurp}

Speaking of which, I''ve updated my Screenshot Gallery (AGAIN) :) You can still see the old gallery at http://ralic.fiendz.net/gallery but my NEW gallery can be found at http://ralic.fiendz.net/gallery2

I''m evaluating the Gallery v2 BETA to see if it is going to work as well as the Gallery v1x I''ve always run. So far it is looking pretty sweet.

{slurp}

Well gang, I should cut this short and help get some cleaning done today. I hope you all have a great weekend!

Remember, a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. :)

Cheers,

Al

No comments:

Post a Comment