Wednesday, June 24, 2009

v26.9: Big Sigh - 38

Good morning folks,

-slurp-

I'm tired this morning, both physically and mentally.  Since you already know why I'm physically tired, let me elaborate on the mental fatigue I've been experiencing.

-slurp-



Some days I wish my day job was a mindless manual labour position.  Some days I wish I could come to work, sit at my desk and do my job without any need for deep thought or scheduling or planning or any of that other bull shit.  I've never managed anything before I came to this company (technically I'm not a manager here either) but I can honestly say that what I do today is not what a typical manager deals with on a daily basis.  Sure, there may be days, but not every day like I have.

-slurp-

Let me give you a run-down on a normal day for me:

5:00am - Awake and ready to workout.


6:30am - Finish workout, have shower, eat breakfast


7:00am - Leave the house and head to work


7:30-8:00am - Arrive at work and check email to see what things require my immediate attention.


8:00-8:30am - Reply and handle most issues that took place overnight.  This is also when I find out people are sick or are working from home.


8:30-9:00am - Musing if I'm lucky


9:00-11:30am - Some days I will have 1 or 2 meetings in this time span but on other days I'm working on reporting and other "Management" tasks for my team.  Typically I will be working on something for my boss following his instructions in my reporting.


11:30-12:00pm - Eating my lunch at my desk while I continue to work.  It would be nice to actually leave my desk somedays to eat but lately it has become impossible.  If I leave my desk for an extended period of time, I end up having to stay later (or working from home after supper) to make up for the loss of time.  On any given day I work between 8 and 10 hours.


12:00-4:00pm - More meetings.  Some days my boss wants a status update meeting with me to go over my reporting.  This is usually where I find out everything he told me to do isn't what he needs and I have to go back to my desk and do it over.  I've had this happen to me 4 times that I can remember since I started this position on this new team and my frustration is starting to show.  Granted this is trickling down the tree from his boss because he has to present my report to his boss and his boss is telling him he wants to see something different; of course this lands on my lap to complete by the next day.  By the time I get to present it again it won't be what he's looking for again and the cycle will continue.  Usually 4pm comes along way too quickly and I end up leaving work with this feeling of guilt that I'm leaving despite the fact that I plan on working from home that evening to finish the task.


4:00-9:00pm - Spend up to an hour in traffic on my way home.  Spend what little time I have with my family, work a little bit, eat some supper and if I'm lucky, get some TV or Gaming in before I need to sleep so I can be up at 5am the next day to do it all over again.


-slurp-


I'm sure others have worse days than mine and by attempting to articulate my day in text I've noticed there are no words to express my frustration and anger at this situation.  This, my friends, is the Big Sigh because at the end of the day, all I can do is sigh because I work my ass off every day so I can be broke.


-slurp-


Cheers,


Al

No comments:

Post a Comment