Thursday, June 18, 2009

v26.7: Some Changes - 32

Morning folks,

-slurp-

I've made some changes to the site.  The first, and most notible chage is the theme.  I downloaded the Frugal Theme and have begun to heavily modify it.  I liked the basic layout with minimal flare; it makes the site easier to read and keeps the clutter down to a minimum.

-slurp-



I apologize that I will not be continuing the story I started yesterday.  I decided to instead write a complete short story about the adventure and then publish that story here as I complete each section.  The first section (which you read yesterday if you stopped by) will go up later today or tomorrow.  I plan on releasing a new section of the story every week until it is completed.  I have no idea where this story is going to take me as I'm just winging it right now.  I have a few thoughts in my head on where I'd like to go with it but I want to make sure I don't bite of more than I can chew.

-slurp-

This weekend is Father's Day.  Father's day came into thought in 1910 approximately 2 years after the first Mother's Day observance.  I won't go into all the details around how it became an official day of recognition for fathers, but it wasn't until 1924 when Present Calvin Coolidge recommended that all states should recognize Father's Day each year.  There was a lot of support for the day but it did not catch on the way Mother's Day did.  In fact, most fathers did not want the day recognized as it felt too much like they were asking for a "pat on the back" for something they should rightly be doing anyway.

-slurp-

So why was there a Mother's Day and not a Father's Day?  Well this same question was brought to light in 1957 by Senator Margaret Chase Smith who wrote:

"Either we honor our parents, mother and father, or let us desist from honoring either one.  But to single out just one of our two parents and omit the other is the most grievous insult imaginable."



Of course, Father's Day was not officially recognized until 1972 (62 years after it was originally proposed).  It was permanently established by President Richard Nixon and set to occur on the 3rd Sunday of June every year.

-slurp-

There is your history lesson for the day, now I must take my leave and get some work done.  All work and no play makes Al a cranky lad.  The weather is supposed to be super nice today so I think I will take a dip in my pool when I get home.

-slurp-

Until next time...

Cheers,

Al

1 comment:

  1. I'll forgive you for not continuing the story but I'm pissed about you being able to take a dip in the pool.... I wanna pool.... waaaaaaaaaa
    Neway, enjoy your dip and hopefully soon I'll be able to join you.
    Love you bunches

    ReplyDelete