Wednesday, March 16, 2005

v1.3 - Wow is WoW

Morning folks,

{slurp}

What an interesting morning it has been. I left my house late for work as per usual. This starting at 6am every day is starting to wear me down. It wasn't being late that was interesting, it was how I managed to hit every green light all the way to work that surprised me. It is very uncommon for me to hit even one or two green lights on my way to work, but today as luck would have it, I hit every one. Even pulling into Timmy''s yielded no line-up and a quick order and out. As I turned the corner to pull into the office, my boss'' van was parked out front. I was about 15min late at this point. Luckily, the other guy that is supposed to start at 6am with me wasn''t even here yet and here it is almost 7am and he still isn''t here. Sick? Who knows, he hasn''t called/emailed in yet so there is no telling what''s up with him.

{slurp}



I''m still sick. I''m trying to figure out exactly what it is, as it doesn''t really feel like anything I've had before. I would liken it to a stomach flu, but without the throwing up and other things involved. Basically, just a stomach ache which is giving me flu like symptoms. Then I have this bloody cough from the cold I picked up on the weekend. I shouldn''t even be at work, but they only give us 5 sick days a year (or is it 6?) so I need to make them count. If I can sit erect at a keyboard, I should be at work. Otherwise I''ll be home playing WoW all day and that can''t be any more healthy than work :)

{slurp}

Speaking of WoW, I dinged 38 on my Night Elf Hunter the other night. I''m a few bubs away from 39 which I should ding a few hours after I get home this afternoon. Once I ding level 40 I can start wearing Mail armor (chain). I have already gone out and started buying chain armor pieces to replace my current leather set. Once I ding 40, I should be good to go :) Also at level 40 I can train my character to ride a mount. Unfortunatly, the cost of actually buying a mount is so damn high (72 gold) that I doubt I''ll be able to afford one for awhile. For those who play DAoC, 72 gold is a LOT of cash for a 30s/40s toon. I think the most I''ve ever had at one time was 28 gold and that went FAST in training and items. Most of the stuff I''m training right now costs me around 1.5 - 2 gold each. At level 40, I'll get a bunch of new abilities (group speed, mail armor, etc) which is going to cost me almost 2 gold each item.

{slurp}

Meh

{slurp}

People have told me World of Warcraft wouldn't last and you lose interest fast. I can agree and disagree with that statement. For starters, this is a brand new game for me. I disagree because there is SO much to do in this game you could never complete it all in a couple months. Here I am sitting at level 38 and my quest log is full of quests I can''t do solo or stuff I haven''t gotten around to. I still haven''t even explored 3/4 of the land mass available to players. I have tried every single class up to level 10 thus far and I have played both Alliance and Horde. Each different race start location is full of content and scenery. I see stuff today that still makes my jaw drop in awe. Yes, I''m new to the game and yes, I''m still in my 30 day trial period.

{slurp}

On the downside, I can see how rolling a new toon will be exceptionally less exciting (other than new abilities). Since the quests will all be the same (except for class only quests), I'll already know the steps needed and the mystery will be somewhat lost. However, like a good book, when you reread it a 2nd time you always find something you missed. It was like this for me in DAoC and I will assume the same for WoW. I don''t have any plans to roll another toon for awhile. PvP rewards are being put on the WoW test servers soon and will be rolled out to live servers soon. I like how they are working the reward system in this game. Instead of abilities like in DAoC, they are giving items and stature. For example, instead of Realm Ranks, they are giving Military Ranks (Lieutenant, Colonel, etc). Each rank promotion will give you new items of power or access to something unique. I think for the Commander rank, you get a Commander''s Mount as a prize.

{slurp}

One difference from DAoC is you can actually lose PvP stature. There are two types of kills in WoW, Honorable and Dishonorable. If you perform Honorable kills, you will gain points and advance through the ranks. If you perform Dishonorable kills, you will lose points and can be demoted. A dishonorable kill would be a level 60 moving into a noob starting area and killing a level 5 player. Or killing another like level player while he is in PvE combat. Things like that :)

{slurp}

I''m looking forward to the PvP rewards. I've heard a lot of complaints about how there is no end game content right now. PvP is pretty much useless since it doesn''t give you anything. Thankfully that is about to change as I've been feeling the itch and haven''t taken part due to the lack of any rewards. OH well ;) At least I can use this time to level my Hunter to 60 and get some nice gear for him.

{slurp}

Ughhh.. I don''t feel well at all today. I should go home or leave early today. I wish we had more sick days available to us per year. Oh, speak of work, we (here in Canada) finally have a company name!! Since we merged with a company who didn''t have a presence in Canada, there was a new company created to house us Canucks up here. Since the laws are a bit different here in Canada as far as company names and such go, they couldn''t use the same name as in the US. So officially as of last week we now have a company name: CCSI Technology Solutions, A CompuCom Systems Company. Yeah. Anyone watch CSI on TV? :)

{slurp}

Well, I''m going to sign off for today. Hopefully tomorrow I''ll feel better and have something good to talk about :) Until then, Keep your stick on the Ice!

Cheers,

Al

No comments:

Post a Comment