Tuesday, March 8, 2005

v1.1 - One Flu Over the Cuckoos Nest

{big long slurp}

OH man!

Good morning my friends. I trust you all had a grand evening of playing scrabble with your loved ones and watching 'Who Wants To Be A Millionaire'.

Myself, I got to stay home with 1.5 sick children while my wife went off to work. Yes, it is that time of year again. The weather is starting to get nice and people are being silly by going outside in their shorts and t-shirts because it 'looks' nice out there. Be careful out there folks, the world is a nasty place right now and as the weather warms up (if you live up north) you're bound to find many a people sick at your work place :)



{slurp}

So Friday my son woke up with a bit of a cough and fever. As was expected because we had a great week of nice weather and there were a few times he went outside without a jacket on, despite our requests that he put one on (kids.. sheesh). This weekend he basically just layed on his back and didn't do much of anything. Yesterday he started to feel a bit better, but then again last night the fever came back and he has this cough. Katie will most likely take him to the Dr's Office today if he isn't feeling a lot better.

{slurp}

Last night was pretty much uneventful. I mentioned I stayed home with 1.5 sick kids, well, my daughter is the .5 sick child. Yesterday she started showing signs of getting the same flu my son has. It was bound to happen as she is home all day and keeps trying to play with him :) She is, after all, only 2 years old. Katie is also fighting off a bit of the flu bug and had a nasty incident last night at work because of it. Over all, sick times at the household and I'm just waiting for it to slap me across the face.

Ugh

{slurp}

Since a lot of people don't really know much about being sick (other than you feel.... well... sick), I thought I would write about it and give you guys some useful information. Keep in mind, most of my 'research' is done on the web and I am NOT a doctor :)

For starters, it is a good idea to identify what type of sickness you have (ie cold or flu). Since the symptoms can overlap a little bit, I thought I'd touch on a few of the major symptoms.

{slurp}

Ahhh.. lets begin (taken from http://www.health-news-and-information.com/4cfvhs/libv/p15.shtml):

Fever: For colds, fever is rare; For flu, fever is characteristic, high (102-104°F), and lasts 3-4 days.

Headache: For colds, headache is rare; For flu, headaches are prominent.

General aches & pains: For colds, general aches are slight; For flu, aches and pains are typical and can be severe.

Fatigue, weakness: For colds, fatigue is quite mild; For flu, fatigue can last up to 2-3 weeks.

Extreme exhaustion: For colds, exhaustion is not a normal symptom; For flu, exhaustion is early and prominent.

Stuffy nose: For colds, stuffy nose is common; In flu, a stuffy nose is sometimes present.

Sneezing: For colds, sneezing is usual; For flu, sneezing is sometimes present.

Sore throat: For colds, sore throat is common; For flu, sore throat is sometimes present.

Chest discomfort, cough: For colds, chest discomfort is mild to moderate; For flu, chest discomfort is common and can become severe.

There you have it.

{slurp}

Bottom line folks, if you can get a flu vaccine in the fall, do it. Flu season tends to run between November and March. If you've ever been sick within that 5 month window, chances are you've been victimized by the flu bug!!

As for the common cold, that bad boy is caused by one of more than 200 seperate viruses. Talk about a bug that gets around... sheesh. Be careful out there :)

{slurp}

Last night I was also playing a little bit of WoW (World of Warcraft for those who are not familiar with the acronym). Katie and I have been working on this quest together for a few days and it is a big one. This quest has us travelling all over the globe in search of a missing person (of high importance). Come to find out, while we were beating the snot out of one of the mobs who helped capture this person, the missing person is actually the KING!

{slurp}

I won't spoil the story for you, lets just say I think things are about to get a whole lot more interesting in this game :)

Speaking of which, the reputation system in WoW is an amazing thing. Each player has a set of reputation bars. These reputation bars show you how high your reputation with a particular faction is. The higher your reputation, the more quests and better discounts you will get from them. I first noticed this in Stormwind (human capital city). When I want to fly to Ironforge (Dwarf capital City) it used to cost me 50cp. After doing a bunch of Stormwind quests, my reputation changed to 'Honored'. As soon as that happened the price to fly to Ironforge dropped to 42cp. Not a big jump but I noticed it and thought it was a cool feature. Your reputation with a faction will also determine what you do in allied towns and such. My main toon is a Dark Elf where my wife is Human. From the day she started her character, she had a high reputation with the Stormwind alliance. As a result, she is able to browse certain merchants in allied towns that I am not able to browse. When I speak to some merchants (usually high level ones) the NPC tells me he doesn't sell to anyone unless they have reached exhaulted status with Stormwind. Well, my wife isn't quite at Exhaulted status with Stormwind yet (almost there) but she can browse the wares with no problems. I like how they have worked that system, it is a nice feature. Same issues when she comes to the Dark Elf capital city, there are some merchants she can't buy from that I can until she reaches a certain reputation status with that faction.

{slurp}

After I completed this leg of the quest last night, I decided to go do some exploring. I made my way through the lands and ended up in a place called the Barren Lands. This place, although low level, is a very cool place to visit. It kinda reminds me of Africa with the flat plains with the odd zebra and giraffe. Very cool spot and it even turns into a somewhat prehistoric land once you get to the north. There were huge beasts that made my screen shake when they walked and sneaky raptors everywhere.

{slurp}

I like the different types of AI in this game. Mobs are somewhat smart and not all will do what you expect. There are some mobs that are stealthed (usually rogue humanoids) and when they see you, they will actually try to circle around behind you to catch you by surprise. Being fairly high level, I typically can see these rogues and I watch them circle around me to attempt some kind of back stab. Usually I just set my pet to attack them, or I'll pull out my massive 2h sword and begin laying the beats to them. Some mobs will run away when they are low on health and they will call for help and bring friends back with them. These mobs are dangerous if you're solo.

{slurp}

Anyway folks, I'm going to wrap things up here and bid you all a good morning. Oh, incase I don't see you later, good afternoon, good evening and goodnight.

Remember, look both ways before you cross the street and keep your stick on the ice.

/wave

{slurp} ahhhh

Cheers,

Al

No comments:

Post a Comment