Wednesday, August 24, 2005

v9.9 - Spanktastic

Morning Folks,

{slurp}

It is a windy rainy day today and about 10C (50F) outside. Of course the wind is blowing from the North bringing a ton of artic weather down the Rocky Mountains. I used to love the odd weather patterns here becuase we would get snow in the summer and have spring like weather in the middle of winter. Now I don''t like it so much.

{slurp}



Not only does the weather really mess up your schedule (ie putting summer tires on and having outdoor events) but it also causes quite a bit of sickness. Tomorrow it is supposed to climb up to the 19-22C mark and then on Friday we are looking at high 20sC. Yesterday we enjoyed a high of around 7C. How can that be good for anyones health?

{slurp}

Yesterday was a very frustrating and discouraging day for me and my family. I''m finding it difficult to write about the upcoming job opportunity in Halifax because everytime I write something or tell someone something about it, the plans end up getting rescheduled or missed. Yesterday I was supposed to get my offer letter from the company sometime in the morning. Well, at noon my time I started tracking down my recruiting officer to ask what was up. I understand there are a lot of reservations especially when hiring someone you have never met in person, but I was still expecting the letter due to a communication between her and I on Monday. Basically, she said you WILL be getting a letter Tuesday morning. I guess she meant I would be getting a letter any time after Tuesday morning because today is Wednesday and I still have no letter.

{slurp}

The problem was simple, the last person to sign the letter (before me) was not available yesterday and would be in early this morning. So, after many hours of being stressed and wondering, I finally got ahold of my recruiting officer and she apologized for not contacting me and told me the story. Unfortunately, her little song and dance didn''t make me feel any better and I ended up dropping into a huge state of depression because I really really really really f*cking wanted to get out of this place YESTERDAY (not now, right now)!

{slurp}

Oh well, life goes on and here I am again 24 hours later expecting to see this fabled offer letter appear in my email Inbox sometime between now (almost 9am Halifax time) and 10am (1pm Halifax time). I hate waiting and for those who know me well, you know I have no patience for shit like this.

{slurp}

So Katie bought this bag yesterday. She shows it to me and the first thing I asked her was, "How much did it cost?". Man, if I''m not a copy of my father I don''t know what the hell I am. This bag cost her $10 at the Canadian Tire across the road from our place. I looked at it and couldn''t imagine why a plastic bag would cost so much bloody money. Then she points to a little black plastic piece sticking out of the side of the bag and said it was a vacuum seal bag. Ok, now you have my interest and I want to see this thing in action Yo.

We go upstairs and she starts filling this bag with linens and things. We throw a Queen sized comforter in there, a bunch of bedding sheets and blankets for the kids. This thing was looking like it was about to bust wide open. The thing was full and it looked massive. Basically, how big a bunch of comforters and linens would look if they were stuffed in a plastic bag. :)

Then she seals it up via a handy little ziplock style zipper at one end. Then she takes the bag downstairs and opens the little black port thingy on the side. She takes the vacuum nozel and places it over the port and flips the switch.

WOW (great game btw)

I have never seen anything like it. The vacuum sucked virtually ALL the air out of the bag which compressed all the comforters and linens down decreasing the size of the bag by about 4-5x. Basically, once we were done, the bag was approx 3 inches thick, about 12 inches wide and 20 inches tall. I picked it up and looked at it and couldn''t believe it. When we packed our stuff to move into this place a month ago, we filled a huge monitor box of linens, now we can move the same amount of linens in less than 1/4 of the room. Wow!

{slurp}

I was impressed by the bag which leads me to believe I''m getting old. Whoo hoo.. bags!!!!

"Wow, this bag is very stirdy, we could use this one over and over again hey Ethel?"

"I don''t know Ted, I just don''t know."

Sheesh :)

{slurp}

So, now I sit here and wait. With the excitment of the bags yesterday I was pretty worn out. We drove over to Canadian Tire last night (yes, across the street we drove) and picked up a few more of these bags. We even picked up 2 JUMBO BAGS which are approx 48"x36" in size. Imagine all the things we could seal up in there? All the clothing, towels and other various bulky items you would normally cram into a box or garbage bag for moving.

{slurp}

Well gang, this is musing v9.9 :) Tomorrow we will be celebrating our 91st Musing (yes, today is the 90th). Due to the way versioning numbers worked out, our 91st musing will be verion 10.0. Will this mad man ever stop? Well, after I move to Halifax, I will be keeping up with the musings on a relgular basis because I will have both family and friends (from Calgary) who will be wanting to know how things are going for us back East. This will give them a chance to read what is going on in our lives as well as provide them with some educational entertainment at the same time.

{slurp}

Ahhh, gotta love that first thing in the morning coffee that tastes like ass and is freakin'' cold before you get 1/2 way through it. Nothing like it.

{slurp}

Well my friends, parting is such sweet sorrow. I must depart now and make way toward my seemingly unending day of stress, worry and bull shit. I hope everyone has a great day and we''ll see you (hopefully) tomorrow morning.

Take care and happy hunting.

Cheers,

Al

No comments:

Post a Comment