Wednesday, August 17, 2005

v9.6 - Weee

Morning Folks,

{slurp}

I''m sure you are all anxious to hear about how things went yesterday, so without further adu, on with the musing!

{slurp}



As you are aware, yesterday was the day I found out if I got this job in Halifax or not. Well, I''m pleased to say that I did indeed get the job!! I am very excitied and can''t wait for the offer letter to arrive (sometime mid next week) so I can finally get the ball rolling for moving. Yesterday was a LONG and stressful day. After a couple telephone calls between my recruiting officer and myself, I finally got the call around 4pm yesterday afternoon.

Weeee

{slurp}

As a result of this news, my family and I will be preparing to move over the course of the next couple weeks. Once I get my offer letter signed and sent, I will then need to give notice here at work so I can leave. I''m still finding it hard to believe that I actually was accepted and am actually moving back home. Wow!

{slurp}

While on the road I will try to spit out some musings. Unfortunately my server will be with me in our vehicle while I drive across country, so I won''t get a chance to publish them until I get setup in Halifax with my new ISP and such. I don''t suspect it will take me too long to get everything setup and running, but it will take me approx 5 days to get there driving (with 2 kids).

This is going to be one adventure and the musings around that adventure should be pretty fun to read. :)

{slurp}

Now I''m sitting here at work with a huge moral dilemma! Once I get my offer letter, I will be giving notice here at work. Since the company I''m going to be working for is considered a competitor to my current company, I will be walked to the door same day under Company Policy. This means all my responsibilities (some of which nobody knows) will fall on the shoulders of other people in the office and stress levels will rise drastically. I don''t want this to happen and even though I''m leaving this job behind, I still care about the people and the team here. I have mentioned this potential job to a few of the people on the team, but my manager and a few others are not in the "know" yet. My dilemma is whether or not to mention this to my boss or not.

{slurp}

My boss and I go back a number of years. Prior to him being my boss, he was a tech on our team just like myself. He was then upgraded to the assistant team lead to my boss at that time and then my full boss after my old boss moved on. We have had a lot of chats and I like to consider him a friend first and a boss second. It is the "friend" I want to talk to. I''m not certain how he will take the news and I''m wondering if he would appreciate me giving him a heads up vs handing in my resignation and being walked.

There is a LOT of cross training that needs to happen over the next week. I want to be able to do this, but I also want to continue work as long as possible to increase the cash I will have when I move. I don''t suspect he will give me the boot if I tell him I have this offer coming, but there is a slight slight slight chance it could happen. Oddly enough, people who tend to be friends and then manager usually lean more to a manager stance when talking personally. I don''t want this because the Manager in him would say to make my life hell. :)

{slurp}

Anyway, I''ll figure it all out and let you all know what is going on as I get more information. I''m VERY excited about all this and I can''t wait to finally be back home close to my family and working at a new set of challenges and issues. This new job (and move) is going to be a great change for me and my family. I worry about the kids, but I think they''ll adjust fine and all will be great in the end.

{slurp}

Well gang, I''m cutting this off here. I have some actual work to do today and I want to make sure I get a chance to chat with some of the boys here and let them know what''s going on.

Take care and we''ll see you tomorrow.

Cheers,

Al

No comments:

Post a Comment