Tuesday, July 5, 2005

v7.6 - We''re Moving!

Morning Folks,

{slurp}

The title says it all this morning; the family and I are moving! We found this great place in South Calgary that is perfect for us right now. Granted it is still renting, it is a bit cheaper rent than what we are paying currently and for so much more.

{slurp}



First off, let me start by saying I HATE MOVING! I have been going through this internal dilemma where I''m not sure if I can justify getting someone to move me or do it myself. I''ve moved a lot over the past decade. Maybe not as much as some, but I''ve moved a lot on my own. I''m trying to figure out whether it is worth the cash to have someone move our stuff for us or if it would be better to rent a big truck and do it ourselves.

{slurp}

A few months back I was fortunate enough to assist in my Sister''s big move into their new house. I would have to say that was one of the best moving experiences I''ve ever taken part in to date. I still hate moving, but if I was to move myself, I would want it to go as smoothly (minus the missed turns) as that move.

{slurp}

So this new place is quite nice. I''m still trying to figure out how we were able to score such a great deal. I think our landlord is trying to figure that out as well. :) The place is quite big inside with approx 1200sqft of living space plus a developed basement. Our current place is a measly 970sqft of living space and a basement we use for storage and laundry. This new place also comes with 5 appliances included; our last place only came with 4 and they were quite a bit older than last decades models. The back yard, wow, is a LOT bigger than the one we currently "enjoy". For starters, the back yard in this new place has grass!! Yes, I know it is uncommon for someone to be excitied about such, but after our landlord at our current place decided to "treat" all the lawns in our complex last year, we haven''t had grass since. We were told we needed to plant it ourselves and they were willing to give us a bag of seed to do it. Isn''t that great?

{slurp}

So we''ll have 3 bedrooms, living room, recreational room, kitchen and dining area, 1.5 bathrooms and a TON of closet/storage space. I tried looking up the advertisement for this place where you could see some pictures of it, but it doesn''t seem to be online anymore. I think Katie has some pics of it and was going to forward them around to whoever wanted to see it. Hopefully, if all goes well, we will be out of our current place before the end of this month. I think we are shooting for moving in around the weekend of the 22nd. Yes we''re excitied and yes we''re not looking forward to all the work but we''ll get it done and get it done right this time.

{slurp}

Anyway, other than that, there isn''t a heck of a lot to talk about. Since we went and saw this place on Sunday we''ve been excited about moving. Katie picked up some packing supplies last night and is busily preparing the packing phase of our move. My goal is to remove at least 1/2 of everything we have in the current place before we move. So far, we have thrown away a LOT of stuff and I can think of a ton of other things down there we will need to throw away as well. I would like to have our current storage basement completely cleaned out and have all the boxes and such on the main level ready to move at a moments notice. As soon as we get word we can move in, we''ll be loading up the little car with several loads of stuff and getting it over there asap. When it comes time for moving day, all I want to worry about is the big stuff and a few left over boxes filled with stuff we need.

{slurp}

Bleh, anyway, enough about my moving plans. :) I can''t express how good it will be to get away from the neighbourhood we currently live in. I can''t recall how many times I''ve had to look out my upstairs windows because I''ve heard the sound of breaking glass or people running late at night. The place is going down the shitter fast, which is evident by the amount of cops roaming around the area lately.

{slurp}

So I thought I''d talk a bit about gaming for a minute. Katie has finally given up the WoW addiction by selling off her account. She has promoted me as the guild leader of the Storm of Swords guild on Uldum. I''m still stuck between a rock and a hard place right now and I''m not sure what I''m going to do. For the next month I doubt I''ll be on nearly as much as I usually am (due to moving and all that), but I DO plan on rolling up new toons on the new DAoC servers coming out in 7 days. After that, I will most likely be playing DAoC more and WoW less until my prepaid time expires in WoW. Will I continue on? I always said I would never play two games at once because of the costs. I guess we''ll have to see how things go and how much money I have left after this move. I foresee myself playing both games, but those plans can change as quickly as a dumb ass driver switching lanes.

{slurp}

I won''t get into the pros and cons of the games in my musings. People have their own reasons for playing a game and we respect each other''s opinions. For myself, WoW is starting to lose the luster it once held and DAoC is still annoying as hell with all the cheaters in RvR. Are there cheaters in WoW? You bet! However, there comes a point in everyone''s gaming life where they have to ask whether it is still worth it. Any game out there you find today will have cheaters. People who will be willingly exploiting the system to gain an edge or advantage over other people. I can''t say I''ve always been a little innocent gamer (select, select, up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, B, A, start anyone? :) ) but I''ve always frowned apon people (especially in an MMOG) who use 3rd party applications or glitches in the game code to gain a strategic edge over everyone else. The excuse "Everyone else is doing it" just doesn''t cut it with me. For every person you can point out using a cheat in DAoC, I can point out 10 people who aren''t.

{slurp}

Anyway, all that aside as it is something I''ll need to work out on my own at a later date. For now, I must see what the great puba has in store for me today and get to work on it. I have a bunch of paperwork to sign today and fax off to my NEW landlord as well as plan the move. So, until tomorrow then, keep fit and have fun.

{slurp}

Cheers,

Al

1 comment: