Friday, July 15, 2005

v8.1 - Proverbly

Morning Folks,

{slurp}

It is finally Friday and the whole world rejoices! YAY!

{slurp}



Again, I''m writing this musing in vi just because I feel my laptop is going to lock up again. It hasn''t locked up since my last musing to you, so I''m about due. :)

{slurp}

Once in a blue moon. Has anyone ever heard that saying? I know I''ve heard it thousands of times and never knew what
it really meant. Well today, for those who didn''t already know, I''m going to fill you in on what exactly Once in a Blue Moon really means. First off, for those who haven''t heard this before, Once in a Blue Moon basically means Not Very Often. Next, we need to figure out what the heck a Blue Moon is. I did some digging and all the resources I''ve come across all seem to say the same thing. A blue moon is a second full moon to occur within a single calendar month.

{slurp}

So basically, if there are two full moons within a calendar month, you would consider the second full moon the Blue Moon. Since the average interval between full moons is approx 29.5 days and the average month is approx 30 days, it is
very rare to have two full moons within a single calendar month. In short, the average century will have approx 41 Blue Moons. This is to say we will have a Blue Moon once every 2.5 years making it a rare occurance.

Next time someone says "Once in a Blue Moon" to you, reply with something witty like, "Ok, see you in 2.5 years".

Yeah

{slurp}

A Bird in the Hand is Worth Two in the Bush. My father used to say this one quite a bit when I was a child. I always thought it was mumbo jumbo talk until later in life. I mentioned this one to Katie the other day and she just looked at me with this "What the hell are you talking about." look and asked me what the heck that meant. I wanted to see if she would puzzle it out for herself, but she never did get back to me on it. Therefore, today I will unviel the meaning of the saying.

{slurp}

Basically, A Bird in the Hand means something you already have. Two in the Bush means something you want. The proverb is basically saying that what you have already is worth what you want. Doesn''t make sense does it? Look at it this way, if you already have something and you''re looking at getting something better; becareful because you could end up with neither at the end. When you have something already, you are already better off for it. By wanting more, you are displaying your greedy side and chance losing both what you have and what you want. Therefore, what you already have is equal to (or worth) what you want already.

Doesn''t make much sense, but it does tell an interesting story. ;)

{slurp}

Now there are a lot of proverbs and sayings floating around out there that people use on a daily basis out of sheer habit. I have given a few examples here today and I know I''ve given a few in the past as well.

Take for example this popular one: A rolling stone gathers no moss. Ok, maybe it is only popular where I''m from. :)
Basically, this proverb has a much different meaning (origionally) than what you would think. The origional meaning
of this proverb is people pay a price for moving around a lot as they will have no roots. This proverb can also mean
people keep moving to avoid picking up any responsibilities and/or cares. I don''t think my father knew the actual meaning of this proverb when he used to say it. He would say it to me whenever I was sitting around the house doing nothing. The "Moss" in this case is being lazy and not moving around much. He wanted me to get out and do something so I didn''t root down with moss and get fat and lazy. :)

{slurp}

Anyway, there is your education for the day. I received an email from my new landlord yesterday. This guy is great at keeping me up-to-date on what is happening with our new place. Basically, he told me he should have the keys to me
by the end of next week so we can start moving in. I must admit, I''m quite looking forward to getting out of our current place. The night before last some ass was running through our neighbourhood and was trying to kick down people''s
doors late at night. He stopped off at our place and gave our front door a swift kick. Luckly we were still awake and the guy moved on to our neighbours door and gave it a swift kick. The kick was hard enough that I felt it up in my
bedroom when he kicked my neighbours door (townhouses). I don''t know what some of these ass holes are thinking. Why
would you run through a well lit area with 10-15 townhouses all facing in on the same courtyard and start kicking people''s doors?? I heard some sirens a minute or so later and fell asleep. My son (who is 5 years old) stays awake at night scared that someone is going to break in to our house. HE''S 5 YEARS OLD! This isn''t stuff children need to worry about. Children need to worry about which toy to play with next or which toy their stupid sibling is playing with of theirs. I sat him down last night and we had a little chat about being scared and such. I had yoinked my Pepsi from me last night and drank the rest (approx 500ml left) on me. I told him he would get bad dreams because he drank pop
so close to bedtime. This started all his fears of people breaking in and such. He even went so far as to tell me which rooms a "bad guy" would hit first if they came upstairs. I felt bad and reassured him everything would be fine.

{slurp}

Anyway folks, I have a little bit of work to get done this morning and then hopefully we''ll be heading out for lunch.
Today is the last day for one of our co-workers. He was the guy who gave his notice way way back in late May. Well, today is July 15th and offically his last day. This is the guy who taught me fun things like 30 Down and Liars Dice. It will be sad to see him go and we wish him all the best in his future.

{slurp}

Take care my friends and we''ll see you on Monday.

Cheers,

Al

No comments:

Post a Comment