Tuesday, July 12, 2005

v7.9 - My Desk

Morning folks,

{slurp}

How is everyone doing this fine morning? Myself, I''m doing great. Made it to work on time, got a good nights rest and not feeling too shabby. Katie and I have been packing and cleaning and packing and cleaning for the last couple weeks. You wouldn''t believe the stuff we''ve "found" tucked away in the oddest places in our home. Hell, we even found an old Grill Cheese sandwich with the face of the Virgin Mary on it tucked behind one of the base boards. I plan on eBaying it to see if we can make some extra cash to afford this move. :)

{slurp}



Hope everyone had a great weekend. I haven''t had a lot of time lately to throw out any good musings. I don''t like making excuses for myself but on Friday I DID have a musing almost completed before my laptop locked up (again). I know, I should call the internal helpdesk or something, but I''m running a non standard OS on my work laptop (Fedora Core 3 Red Hat) so I don''t really want to call in and them tell me I need to have a Windows XP SP2 build put on it.

{shudders}

For those who into gaming, today is the big day some of us Dark Age of Camelot people have been waiting for. Today Mythic is opening up a couple new servers which will appeal to a lot of their player base. I won''t go into all the details about the new servers, but I will say Mythic has done a great job listening to their players and implementing this alternate ruleset server. Unfortunately for me, it may be a little too late.

{slurp}

I have been having a lot of fun playing World of Warcraft recently. Even though it is pretty much the same old (for now), I started playing a new character and have been having way more fun leveling him than I did my Hunter. I hit level 27 with this toon and I''m very very close to hitting 28. I don''t know how my evening will go tonight, but I suspect DAoC will keep me occupied for maybe 2 minutes and I''ll be back over to WoW where I can have fun. Just thinking of DAoC frustrates me and I don''t like feeling that way anymore. I talked it over with a few people and they are all telling me not to go back to a game if it makes you feel that way, so I guess we''ll wait and see exactly how it makes me feel.

{slurp}

So, as the title of my musing would suggest, I want to write a little bit about my desk here at the office. So many people have different styles of desks and how they lay them out I thought I would share my little slice of hell.

My cubical is an L shape area. To my left there are several pictures of my children tacked up on my board. There is also an on-call schedule there so I can see who the suckers are for the week and a complete list of company Holidays to look forward to. I also have this big ass calendar mat thingy next to me that I never use which is most likely on the wrong month. Still not sure why I got it or who gave it to me; I came in one morning and it was just there.

{slurp}

Directly in front of me is my laptop and speakers. I write to you each and every morning from this little piece of shit and if I''m lucky that particular morning, you will get the musing. Off to my right a little is my mouse, phone, headset and local office phonelist. Not too exciting except for the phone. I like to push buttons so this phone is perfect for me. Up on my wall to the right is a poster entitled "Common Security Exploit and Vulnerability Matrix". I don''t know who it belongs to, but it was here when I moved into this cubical so I''m assuming it belongs to me. :) In the corner of my L shaped cubical is my Sun Blade 100 system (server) with 21" monitor. I use this box to test out web developement stuff as well as anything else I need to test for my job. It is another piece of shit, but it sometimes gets the job done.

{slurp}

To my far Right I have a whiteboard. I like to draw and write stuff down on it when I have nothing better to do. I draw little diagrams that LOOK like they pertain to my job, but instead I''m really planning out toon specs and other various plots to take over the world. This whiteboard is the source of my intellectual power and nobody can ever take it away from me!!! Beside my desk is a couple small filing cabinets piled on top of each other. Here in the office we have learned how to conserve space so we typically pile things up in hopes it gives us more room. At least that was was Jimmy thought before the big 24" monitor he piled up ontop of his other 24" monitor fell on him. God rest his soul.

{slurp}

As you can plainly see, my job is borning and not much to write about. I can say one thing for sure; they mistyped my fax number on my business card. So I get to stare at the wrong phone number all day and get pissy. :)

{slurp}

Not much exciting happens around here. Our moral goes down and then a few people get let go. That in turn causes a 1 to 2 day stir in the office where the old CEOs, VPs, ASDFs, and every other manager type is aroused. Usually that is the only time you see them around because it is their job to boost morale!! Viva les Workforce!!

{slurp}

Well folks, I need to get out of here and do some work. This week in Calgary is our Calgary Stampede! I won''t be going to the events, but I do enjoy the quite week of work while it is going on. Maybe I''ll see some of you tonight in DAoC land. Maybe I''ll see you in WoW land. Either way, I''ll see ya later :)

{slurp}

Cheers,

Al

No comments:

Post a Comment