Friday, July 17, 2009

v27.7: TSFIHF

Morning folks,

-slurp-

Acronyms are a funny thing.  I find it interesting especially when you start to study acronyms and find out that these things have a history of causing confusion.  For example, the title of my Musing this morning has a very clever acronym that I made up.  Of course this acronym only means something to me and isn't even related to my musing so what could it mean?

-slurp-

A good example of a well known Acronym is TGIF which simply means Thank God (or Goodness) it's Friday.  There is a whole restaurant chain named after this Acronym called TGI Friday's.  I went there on a Friday once; it wasn't that specatular.

-slurp-

What are some other famous acronyms out there?  How about SPCA, CIBC or USA?  All of these are acronyms that are fairly well know.  Now let's fast forward to the 21st century and the internet.  All of a sudden you Acronym overload as people look for more and more ways to shorten their typing down.  In some cases, people have been able to create acronymns out of an entire sentance.  One of my personal favorites is ROFLMAO which may look familiar to you as something you type when you thing something is very funny.  It simply means Rolling On Floor Laughing My Ass Off.  This has become widely used and I've even seen it in video games where someone will type in an emote roflmao and their character will literally get down on the ground and roll around laughing.

-slurp-

So WTF does all this mean?  Well the more I see these acronyms injected into our regular speech I begin to wonder when these acronyms will cease to be acronyms and become actual words with meanings.  It is getting to the point where we are using them in our regular speech (I know I sometimes do) instead of just using them in writing to shorten down typing in chat.  Of course society will adjust and the next generation of people will accept these new "words" into their regular vocabulary and eventually the entire acronym meaning will be forgotten and only available in an old archive of the internet stored on some out-of-date IDE Hard drive that nobody knows how to operate anymore.

-slurp-

So coming back to the acronym in my title.  What could it possibly mean?  I'll open the comments up to the people and see if they can guess.  I can give you a hint: it is an event that is happening in Halifax today.

-slurp-

Cheers,

Al

7 comments:

  1. Tall Ship Fleet in Halifax Friday ???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tall Ship Flotilla in Halifax Friday ????

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tell Some Friends Its a House Frendzy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tall Ships Festival in Halifax?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Friday

    haha That's supposed to be at the end.

    ReplyDelete