Friday, November 2, 2007

Bring on the Hurricane

Good morning Folks,

Sorry for the lack of updates this week, but things have been pretty crazy for me.  Let me start off by saying that I've received a promotion here at work this week.  Before you start cheering for me, let me say that this is not a welcomed promotion as it adds way more work, way more stress, way more hours to my work life and offers me no benefits or pay increase.  Really, what I got was a demotion.

Meh

I won't go into all the minor boring details, but we've had 3 people on my team quit within the last couple weeks.  My ex-team lead who was done last week, and one of my co-workers and project manager who are both done today.  Since my PM used to be my team lead, he was in line to take over the Team Lead position again.  However, since he himself was quitting, they need to find someone else to take the position asap.  That is where I come in.  The funny part is, I'm not even the most senior guy on the team.  This position should have gone to one of two other people on my team, but for some reason I was the one asked.

Why did I take the position?

Well, as I've mentioned to others, I had two choices.  I could either take the position, get an official title and do more work or I could reject the position, do the job anyway and get no official title and be driving myself crazy.  I guess you could say I choose the lesser of two evils here.  So not only am I doing my own work, I am also doing Team Lead duties on top of it all.  That in itself wouldn't be SO bad, but we had an issue last week with a guy on our team.  He had a bit of a "melt down" here at work and ended up walking out.  He'll hopefully be back on Monday, but it has added a lot of strain on the team since he was supposed to be on-call this week (now I am) and he is supposed to be looking over one of our products (now I am).  So not only am I doing my job and my TL's job this week, but I'm also doing a third job on top of it all.  Needless to say, I've barely had a minute to myself at work to scrape together a musing.

This week has been quite bothersome and I'm starting to "see" things about the company I work for that I'm suspicious about.  I won't go into those details because it isn't my place, but I don't like what I'm seeing.

Anyway folks, I was able to get a few spare moments to write, but those moments have come and gone.  Hopefully next week is going to be a lot quieter and I can sit down and do some serious writing.

Take care everyone and have a safe weekend.  If you're in Nova Scotia, stay indoors this weekend and out of Hurricane Noel's way.  Looks like he is going to be hitting us pretty hard tomorrow evening and Sunday so stay indoors if you can.

Cheers,
Al

1 comment:

  1. Oh wow.. first I got excited, then I got ticked off.. Man Alan, I sure wish you could find another job that paid as well that gave you what you were promised and that you were happy and content with. This company just keeps sticking it to you over and over. Ever thought of talking to the BBB or an ombudsman or Live and 5 or anyone who might be in a position to help?
    I just wish I could help :o(
    The storm wasn't too bad here.. no damage that I've heard of. Mike only got one firecall and that was a false alarm. How did you fare in the city??
    Missing you
    Love you

    ReplyDelete