Wednesday, November 7, 2007

After the Storm

Good Morning Folks,

Yes, it is 3 days later since the storm swept through and I'm just getting a chance to write now.

UGH!

Things are not going as well as I had originally planned.  I thought taking on this new role at work would be a good opportunity for me.  Instead, it has assured me of an early death.  Every day I come into work I lose a year of my life.  Thank God I have life insurance.

We fared the storm fairly well.  Besides loss of sleep, everything went well.  We had power most of the weekend and there was nothing major in the way of damage to the place.  Granted I don't own the place, so I really don't care.  At least we didn't suffer any broken windows or anything like that which would make living a little difficult.  Part of the fence in the back was blown down, but other than that everything else seems to have held together fine.  In fact, our area was one of the only areas in our part of the city that had power on Sunday, which was good and bad.  Good that we had power and were able to do the things we needed to do but bad for my wife who had to work in one of the only Tim Horton's within a 5km radius that had power.  She tells me the line ups were double wide zig zagging through the store.  The only break they had all day was for a short 15min period where the power did go out and they had to kick everyone out of the store.  The power came back and they had a few moments to get coffee on and get some donuts in the oven.  I would hate that job.

This weekend we have plans to visit my Mom and family down in the South shore.  It has been too long since we've been down that way and I'm looking forward to the trip.  Of course nothing is set in stone at this point and pending the outcome of today, we will know whether we're going to make it or not.

Why today you ask?

Well today I finally had the time (and money) to put my van in the shop.  We have this yearly safety inspection that needs to happen on all vehicles and I sorta let mine lapse.  It is LONG overdue.  I knew I would need things like tires and breaks done so rather than take it into the shop for them to tell me that, I decided to just wait until I had the cash to afford it.  Here I am 6+ months later and my van is going into the shop to get some much needed work done on it.  I'm a bit ashamed of myself really.  If I had gotten pulled over and caught in a road check, it would surely have been bad news.  Hopefully, after today, the inspection will be up-to-date and the van will be "winterized" and ready.  Provided that doesn't cost me a ton of cash, I will be making the trek to the South shore to visit my Mom and family for Remembrance Day.

Well folks, I sent an email to my new boss last night stating my dissatisfaction in my job and how I'm feeling on the edge.  He replied back and wants to chat with me.  Hopefully some good comes out of this because I AM on the edge.  My family can't afford for me to snap at the wrong person and lose this job.  Of course they're so desperate for people right now, the chances of getting fired are slim and it would have to be something fairly terrible to lose my job.  Good and bad I guess.

{slurp}

Alright folks, I must run and get at the tasks I have piled up.  Hopefully tomorrow things will be better.

Cheers,
Al

No comments:

Post a Comment