Wednesday, December 7, 2005

v10.7 - Happy or Merry

Morning Folks,

{slurp}

Well, here I sit on a Wednesday morning at work and the network is down. Well, not the entire network, just a small part of the network that allowed me to do my job. Figured this was the perfect time to sit back and do a musing :)

{slurp}



Well, we are just a few short weeks from Christmas. Yes, I'm using the word Christmas because that is the day I celebrate. No, I will not call it the Holiday Season and I will not make it "religion friendly" for those of you who do not celebrate this Christian Holiday.

{slurp}

My Mother sent me an interesting email the other day. It talked about how we (North Americans) are finding ways to make our lives Gender/Religion neutral. I find it quite interesting because Canada (where I live) was founded on Christian beliefs and Religious people. Yet today, we are constantly trying to not offend our immigrant friends who have moved here from different countries. Yes, these people may not celebrate Christmas, but come on people, our history and our culture is at stake here when we start making changes to accomidate those who do not share our founding beliefs.

{slurp}

I am not racist! I am not a religious person! I have nothing against the color of your skin, your ethnic background or what country you came from. I have a lot of friends that are from different countries and I know a lot of people from different countries who have adapted to Canadian culture and celebrate our holidays (Christmas, Easter, Thanksgiving to name a few). Yet our government and representivies make great efforts to change things to accomidate our immigrant friends and make things as "neutral" as possible.

{slurp}

I'm sorry if I've offended anyone by this musing, but I feel if you're living in Canada YOU need to adapt to our culture. I would expect nothing less if I were to move to a different country. I wouldn't expect the Jewish people to rename Hanukkah just to accomidate me (coming from Canada). Why should we change Christmas to X-Mas or the "Holiday Season" to accomidate other religions?

{slurp}

Anyway, not going to go off on a huge rant here, just something that has been burning my butt since I read that email from my mother. It's true and it's sad.

{slurp}

As I mentioned earlier before I took off on a tangent rant, Christmas is coming! My kids are really excited and I can't wait until Christmas day when we will get to spend time with family and friends and have an old fashioned "home" Christmas. It has been a LONG time since I've been home for Christmas and I'm looking forward to this one. I'm not certain what our plans are as far as which house we'll be visiting first, but as long as I get to see everyone I'll be happy.

{slurp}

My sister is flying out from Calgary for Christmas this year. This will be the first Christmas in a long time that my parents will have all their kids home. I hoping this year my sister and I can go through one holiday without trying to tear each others throats out :)

{slurp}

Well, rumor has it the network is coming back so I should run and get some kind of work done this morning. Take care my friends and family!

{slurp}

Cheers,

Al

No comments:

Post a Comment