Monday, June 27, 2005

v7.2 - I'm Back!

Good morning folks,

{slurp}

It is Monday morning on this day the 27th of June the year 2005. Its good to be back in the office and writing to you all. I passed my course with flying colors and am now Sun Identity Manager certified!

Yeah
{slurp}



In the last week I''ve had 2 interviews (phone) for work. Unfortunately the first interview was only for a 6 month contract. While the money would have been great, I am the kind of person who needs the stability for my family. The 2nd interview went well and if they get back to me today, I could see this being a job worth taking. For starters, the job will be approx 60-70% managerial and the rest system administration. Basically, the company is looking for someone to come in and take over a team of people and manage them. Projects, deadlines and all that other stuff. Of course, I''m a bit hesitant about being a manager, but if the job turns out to be something full-time, I may consider taking it. The pay would be... well, a heck of a lot more than I''m making now.

{slurp}

Am I really ready for the move? We have so much skill here on our team. Sometimes I look at some of the skills of others and wonder if I will ever be that knowledgable. You see, my biggest fear is quitting this job (which has a lot of great growth potential) and moving into something I can''t quite handle. I would hate to think I threw this job away and ended up unemployeed in a few months because I couldn''t hack it.

{slurp}

On the flip side. I''ve spoken with many many many system admins from many customers we support. I sometimes wonder how these individuals arrived at this point in their careers because I know quite a bit more about a lot of things. I guess that''s why I''m a support admin and he is just an on-site admin. I see tons of problems come through here and assist with a lot of different technical and administrative issues. I''ve seen it all, so to speak.

{slurp}

This weekend was fairly short and sweet. Friday night we took a trip over to my sister''s place to spend the last evening my step-sister was going to be in town. It was a lot of fun and I learned a new game. Despite the fact they kept changing the rules on me as the game progressed (they were a little tipsy and I was sober, so who are you going to believe?? :) ) I had a lot of fun. The night ended with us leaving late (midnightish) and heading home. My step-sister was heading out the next morning to fly back East to her home and my oldest sister was dropping off my youngest sister at our place early.

Friday night there wasn''t a heck of a lot of sleep had. Saturday night my yougest sister and Katie were heading to the Calgary Science Center to assist with setting up of a light show. My brother-in-law (and long time friend) Drew was playing that night and Katie''s sister was in charge of getting volunteers to help with the setup, decoration and door security. The event started around 6:30 or so and ended around 3am. Katie didn''t get home until somewhere between 3am and 4am and I had fallen asleep on the couch waiting for her. Of course, this was the first night in FOREVER the kids actually went to bed on-time and feel asleep; meaning they would be up bright and early for us. :) They were. I received a flat palmed slap on the back around 8am in the morning as Katie pushed me out of bed to take care of our daughter (she''s an early bird). It was almost like I had just fallen asleep. The whole day was bits and pieces until finally I was able to goto sleep (around midnight) and then have to wake up to be at work for 6am. I''m VERY tired today and grateful the weekend is over. I''m looking for a nice relaxing LONG weekend coming up (we get the 1st and 4th of July off).

{slurp}

As I sit here and ponder what happened this weekend, I''m starting to remember little things here and there that I had forgotten about. Funny how the brain can be sometimes when under a lot of stress and extreamly exhausted.

{slurp}

Well gang, I have a TON of work to catch up on today. Meetings, meetings and more pain in the ass meetings to be had. I guess I should get used to meetings. Especially if I decide to take this manager position. I suspect being a manager will take on a whole different meaning of the word meeting. :)

{slurp}

Take care my friends and remember to brush your teeth twice a day.

Cheers,

Al

No comments:

Post a Comment