Friday, June 3, 2005

v6.2 - The Gnomes!

Good morning Folks,

{slurp}

IT''S FRIDAY!!!

Another week and come and gone and here I sit writing to you yet again. It is raining today.

{slurp}



I woke this morning with the pitter patter sounds of rain on my bedroom window. I got out of bed, walked into the bathroom and had a shower. The sounds of rain are so soothing.

I sit here and type while above me I can hear the rain hitting the top of the building. I look up and see a skylight where the little rain drops are landing creating a feeling of complete and total relaxation. I stare down to my computer screen and WTF?? 132 NEW EMAILS???!!!???

{slurp}

How was everyone''s evening last night? Our evening was pretty good, however, it could have been a LOT better. I left work around my usual time yesterday and drove the 10 minute drive to home. I gave a quick call ahead to let Katie know I was coming and to get the kids ready. It was GROCERY DAY!!!

We zipped over to our local SafeWay and began wandering the endless isles of food and goods trying to determine if we needed item A and how much of item B we had left. It was like any other day at the grocery store when all of a sudden the ground started to shake. At first, I thought it was an earthquake. Immediatly I grabbed our son and Katie grabbed our daughter and we ran to get away from the isles. As you can imagine, the isles began to sway back and forth and items began dropping off the shelves. As we made our way to get some cover, the ground opened up in front of us. I was too busy looking up trying to aviod the various pieces of falling metal and glass. By the time we looked down to see this hole in the floor, it was too late.

{slurp}

Luckly there was an incline and we slid to safety. The dust began to settle a bit and we were amazed at what we saw. Underneath our grocery store was a city. Not like cities you and I are used to, but a city of Gnomes! They were a curious people running immediatly to our aid asking us if we were ok with those high pitched sounding voices. After looking around at were we fell into their city, it appeared to me we actually had fallen on top of their grocery store (or mushroom store or whatever they call it). I knew we could potentially be in a lot of trouble as we had heard many stories about the Gnomes and how violet they could be under the right circumstances. Immediatly I got down on my knees and began talking with the Gnome who appeared to be the leader of this city. I began to explain our situation and how we came to being in their city. The Gnome looked at me with untrusting eyes and placed his hand around his chin as if in deep thought. He turned around and se! veral other Gnomes moved closer. They began to speak in a language I had never heard before. One of the shorter Gnomes (not sure how I made this distinction) was waving his (her, it?) hands in anger making pointing gestures our way. The lead Gnome with his hand still touching his chin turned his head and regarded us over his shoulder. Finally, after much debate the leader Gnome threw up his hands and everyone went quiet.

{slurp}

The leader Gnome came back and regarded my family with hard set eyes. I was beginning to get the feeling we were going to be trapped down here, or worse. The Gnome then introduced himself to me calling himself Garbin the Gnome Chief. He explained that we were welcome to stay as long as we wanted in their village, in return, we were to figure out a way to fix the mess and repair their grocery store. Immediatly I let out a sigh of relief. I never in my life thought I could be so scared of so many tiny creatures. I think it was more those little hands that scared me, but I''m not certain. I gladly agreed to his terms and he shook my finger to seal the deal. I walked back to where Katie and my children were still sitting and began to explain, in detail, what exactly had transpired. Katie was scared and worried as was my daughter. My son on the other hand was looking at the Gnomes wishing he had brought his sword from home to battle it out with these creatures (he called! them mobs).

{slurp}

Katie and I stood there talking for about five minutes before we finally came up with a great idea that would serve the Gnomes needs. I walked back over to Garbin and his band of shorties and told him about our idea. Immediatly his eyes lit up and he began to dance around me while yelling something in that gnomish tongue of his. The rest of the Gnomes began to dance and laugh and play as well. It was like a scene out of Star Wars: Return of the Jedi at the end when they were all celebrating the destruction of the 2nd Deathstar. What did I suggest you ask? I suggested they build a grand stairway to the surface and use our grocery store to supply their city. Of course, I was only worried about saving my family and myself. I would have done almost anything to get out of this place. With that, the Gnomes let us go and we were able to climb back out and into the Safeway.

{slurp}

Luckly our cart with all our food in it was still intact. In fact, the entire store was still intact and people were shopping as if nothing unusual had happened at all. We turned around to look back down the hole to and saw nothing but clean floor. I looked over at Katie and she looked back at me and we just shook our heads and continued on. We picked up the last of our groceries and made our way to the checkout.

Apon ariving home we emptied the car and put away the groceries in total silence. We then immediatly logged into World of Warcraft and deleted every single Gnome player we had. An odd event to be sure, and something I will remember for the rest of my life.

{slurp}

Of course, I may have added a few things in there and left some things out, but it is all pretty much what happened. :)

{slurp}

Later in the evening Katie and I went out to the Blackrock Depths dungeon. This places is EVIL and HUGE. We were pulling up to 8 mobs at a time (linked of course) and the majority were elites. There is this one area in there which looks similar to the PvP Arena in Stranglethorn Vale except there are NPCs in the stands. Aggressive NPCs at that. We had a fairly decent group despite the couple deaths I took and I ended up finishing off 3 quests in there (which of course turned into 3 more). We made it as far as the Black Anvil (if you''re a Blacksmith in WoW, you''ll know what this is) and killed a few named bosses.

{slurp}

It was a good evening and we ended up logging around 10pm and headed to bed. I watched CSI, read a bit and then fell asleep around 11:30pm. Katie is getting very close to level 60 now. Tonight I am dedicating my time to assisting her get that final few bubs so she can finally be done the xp grind. Then, on to helping others to get everyone else to level 60 so we can all enjoy the end game together; or roll alts. :)

{slurp}

Well gang, I''m going to bring things to a close here so I can get some work done. Have yourselves a GREAT weekend and we''ll see you here bright and early on Monday. Remember to always flush and spray when you''re done in the bathroom.

{slurp}

Cheers,

Al

No comments:

Post a Comment