Thursday, August 19, 2004

Rants and the Ranters

Ok, I’m sick and tired of the ranting :) This coming from a guy who runs his own Rant Site :)

As most of you know I play a game called Dark Age of Camelot. I have been playing this game for about 3 years now and I have seen a lot of stuff happen. For those who don’t know what DaoC is, it is an MMORPG (Massive Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game) where 3 realms are in constant struggle to claim dominance. They battle in an environtment like PvP but know as RvR (Realm vs Realm). The company that created this unique style of PvP is Mythic Entertainment.

I’ve seen a LOT of rants regarding class imbalances, realm imbalances, combat imbalances, etc. I’ve seen people bitch and complain about the Midgards. I’ve seen them complain about the Hibernians, and of course the Albions. This game has taken a lot of turns over the past 3 years. Only those who have been playing for as long as I have will understand the power shifts and see a definate pattern. The problem with DAoC is population imbalances.

Let’s say you have a server with 3 realms. Let’s say 10,000 people decide to play on this server as their “Main” server. Let’s say 50% of those individuals decide they like the old Knights and Arthinian Lore and decide to join Albion. Right away you have a population imbalance. Population is a huge deal in RvR, and typically the realm that has the most players wins the battles. Right now, since the release of Mythic’s latest expansion (New Frontiers) we (The Albions) have been winning. There are a lot of “reasons” why, but I feel the biggest one is population. On almost every server, Albions outnumber both Mids and Hibs combined (that the 50% I was talking about). As a result of this, players (Hibs and Mids) are crying Nerf!

We (Albs) have a lot of things going for us these days. We have ALMOST always been the underdogs in RvR warfare; fighting against enemies who seem unbeatable. I remember going out into the frontiers and being overwhealmed by the numbers of our enemies. Now that the gauntlet is on the other hand, they enemy can’t take it. It’s sad TBH. I think the game could have had a lot more potential with New Frontiers. Instead it’s turned out to be a bunch of cry babies who want things back they way they were or they’ll /cancel. I say let em! This game is about change! Plain and Simple!

You either keep up, or fall behind.

Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment