Tuesday, February 2, 2010

v32.8: Life Lessons

Good morning folks,

-slurp-

Sometimes life isn't fair.  If I've learned anything in the short 30+ years I've been around, it is that.  My parents tried to teach me a lot of life's hard lessons, but a lot of them I had to "see" for myself.  If I could go back, I'd listen to my parents, they are the professors of life lived.

-slurp-

As mentioned in a previous musing, our family is going through some trials right now.  I won't give details but let me say this past weekend was one to remember.  It was so emotionally disturbing that I took Monday off to deal with it and wish I had taken today as well.  I'm having difficulty concentrating on work and it is even more difficult to concentrate on this musing.

-slurp-

So I'll think of something else; Life Lessons.  There are a lot of lessons learned in life.  You start at an early age when your parents told you the stove was hot or you'll hurt yourself if you jump on the couch.  We, as parents, are constantly nagging at our kids about these little things trying to teach our children.  Unfortunately, it usually isn't enough and that child need to find out for themselves how hot the stove really is.  Hopefully the child doesn't get hurt and they really learn a valuable lesson so next time they are near a hot stove they stay away from it.

-slurp-

I recall as a child being curious about electrical outlets.  I always looked inside them trying to figure out how things worked when you plugged something into it.  I recall sticking something into the socket and getting a big jolt.  I've been afraid of outlets ever since.  You know how most kids have nightmares about ghosts or animals chasing them?  Not me, my nightmares consisted of mobile electrical outlets with lightning bolts coming out of them floating slowly toward me.  That's right folks, I had Electricaloutletphobia.

-slurp-

Even today I am still very cautious around electrical outlets.  I'm not "afraid" of them, but when I plug something in and there is a slight spark, I pull my hand back very quickly.  If there is an outlet around water I make sure the plug is bone dry and I never put my fingers anywhere near the damn thing.  Being electrically shocked isn't fun.

-slurp-

Anyway folks, my mind is wandering and I'm having difficultly concentrating.  I'll bid you all good day and hopefully things clear up and I'm able to write again tomorrow.

-slurp-

Cheers,

Al

3 comments:

  1. "I recall as a child being curious about electrical outlets. "

    That reminds me, I forgot to take all the clear tape off the outlets at your sisters place lol.. hope she remembers before she tries to plug something in :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the look of your site.. all it's missing is a cleaver photo.. maybe one made just for you by this wonderful girl I know..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, I like the new look too.... nice LARGE font. Easy on these old eyes.
    I'm pondering as to whether your thoughts about "shock" might have come to the forefront because of the "shock" that we all experienced this weekend.I sure don't remember you playing with outlets.. lol
    Hang in there sweetie...
    I love you

    And yes Katie.. the tape is still on the outlets... and no, you can't plug anything in... lol

    ReplyDelete