Monday, September 15, 2008

v19.9 - When to Rip and when not to...

Howdy folks,

{slurp}

Well it's Monday and here we are, doing a GOTO 10 in our BASIC routine and starting another week.  For those of you who know what GOTO 10 means, I'm sorry.  For those who don't, you're not missing much.

{slurp}

A lot to be said about a good title.  Something catchy that brings the reader in and allows them to immerse themselves in what you have to say.  Today I'm going to talk about when to Rip and when not to Rip.

Rip what you ask?

Well, this past weekend there was some discussion about the differences between a Rip Saw and a Crosscut Saw.  I'm talking about those hand held things that people rarely use anymore and when they do use them, they have no idea whether they're holding a Rip saw or a Crosscut saw.

{slurp}

First off, what is the difference?  Well, to put it simply, a Rip saw used when you are cutting wood along the grain and a Crosscut Saw (as the name suggests) is for cutting wood across the grain.  Ever notice when you're cutting wood with a saw on some pieces it seems like the wood is "harder" and doesn't cut as well?  Or when you cut wood you slice through it really fast but it leaves being splinters and jagged edges?  This is the typical outcome when you're using the wrong saw for the job.  I urge you to read this Wiki article if you're really that interested in the differences and how to spot them.

{slurp}

Another example of when to Rip and when not to can also be applied to flatulations; which was also discovered this past weekend.  There are times when you can just let one rip and then there are times when you should keep it to yourself.  Unfortunately, my family doesn't necessarily adhere to this rule and we just let it rip whenever the mood strikes.  Of course this can lead to many interesting get togethers and some memorable experiences.  Some of which still wake me in the middle of  the night covered in sweat holding my nose.

{slurp}

Well folks, short but sweet today.  I promised I would have something out today about saws so here you go :)  Feel free to leave a comment or chime in with your own different kinds of "Rips".

Until next time...

{slurp}

Cheers,
Al

1 comment:

  1. Well, I can't say I understand the crosscut or rip saw thingy any better and I still don't know what kind we have. I'll have to check out the teeth on it. Who on earth has both kinds of these saws anyway, and which one is best to have if you only want one saw????? Hmmmm ?????
    The second rip mentioned is one that I do know well... actually, it's kind of a family tradition.. lol
    You know, I was here on Monday but I didn't see this new musing. Maybe it takes awhile for it to update... don't know.
    Neway, another great musing.. keep up the good work. I look forward to seeing them.
    Love you
    Mom

    ReplyDelete