Thursday, May 15, 2008

v18.0 - Weekly Update

Morning Folks,

{slurp}

I was looking at the site today (as I tend to do every morning before work) and noticed my last post was exactly a week ago.  Today WASN'T garbage day haha.

{slurp}

Most of you know I am an avid gamer.  I have been a gamer for as long as I can remember.  My parents bought me my first computer (Commodore vic20) and my first console gaming system (Atari) and I have been gaming and using computers ever since.  World of Warcraft is a long way from Pong, but when you think about it, games haven't really evolved much in the way of play, just in graphics and sound.  In Pong you have two players (or one player vs computer).  The goal of the game is to make your opponent miss the ball thus awarding you a point.  The ball bounces back and forth, off walls, off obstacles and eventually a victor rises up.  The same goes for any game created today.  You have Player vs Player where the proverbial ball bounces between players.  In this case, you're talking about split second mathematical calculations where various factors are calculated and the player either reflects the ball back or the ball goes by and the other player gets a point.

{slurp}

Of course it is a lot more complicated than that, but you get the point.

{slurp}

World of Warcraft (at last count) has over 10 million subscribers.  Can you imagine playing a game with 10 million other people in the world?  Luckily Blizzard has split these players up into little communities called Servers where there are approx 300 of.  Each server will house a number of players who can all interact with each other and create their own community.  Just like any community, players get to know other players and make friendships and aquatences.

{slurp}

I was playing World of Warcraft last night (and up way later than I should have been) and there were laughs had and memories created.  After logging I took a few moments to reflect on the night's events and had a chuckle.  Then I had a thought; what if, during the server selection phase, I had picked a different server?  Or in my case, what if my father had picked a different server?  Since the only reason I play on the server I do is because my father and step-brother play there.  So what if they had picked a different server (or Blizzard had chosen a different server for them to play on) and we never met the people we know today?  Would it be safe to assume we would have met other similar people and had similar adventures?  Or would we even be playing World of Warcraft today because I can say with all certainty that there were times when the only thing keeping me in the game were the people.

{slurp}

It is quite amazing how life chooses you.  When you look back on your life and see all the different paths you could have taken and all the paths you did take and where they led you.  It is really quite a wonder any of us are alive today given the past mistakes and near-misses we've had.  These are the things that make us who we are and have led us to this exact point in time.  I believe all things happen for a reason and purpose even if we don't always know exactly what the reason or purpose is.  I've seen too many strange coincidences to rule it out.

{slurp}

Anyway folks, what started off as a quick "Hey" turned into a full blown musing (horray for me).  Now I'm 5 minutes late getting the kids to school so I need to RUN.  Take care and we'll see you again soon (less than a week, I promise).

{slurp}

Cheers,
Al

No comments:

Post a Comment