Friday, July 27, 2007

Summer is FINALLY Here!

Good morning folks,

{slurp}

Another Friday is upon us and the gods have decided... "Not today". :)

{slurp}

As my title suggests, Summer is FINALLY here.  That isn't to say I live in some transwarp universe where time flows differently.  Since the official first day of Summer back in June, we haven't had that many "nice" days to speak of.  Yeah it's been sunny, but cool.  It's been raining quite a bit, which is good for farmers and trees and water sources.  We haven't really had any days this year where it has been really hot, until yesterday and today.

{slurp}

The weather forecast for today is calling for Sunny skies and a high of 34 degrees Celsius (which is approximately 93 Fahrenheit for our Imperial friends out there).  Since hot seems to be a relative term, let me tell you, up here in Canada, especially along the Atlantic coast of Nova Scotia, 34 Celsius is HOT.  When you factor in things like humidity and wind (of which there is none), you are looking at a pretty muggy, hot and sticky day.

{slurp}

I Love It!

{slurp}

I heard a conversation yesterday about the high temperatures and how this is the affects of Global Warming.  I've thought a bit on this term "Global Warming" and I've come up with the following definition.  The globe is getting warmer!  Genius ain't I? :)

{slurp}

Imagine, if you will, the Sun in our Solar system.  Imagine all the planets orbiting around the Sun at quite a fast rate.  In fact, so fast that our plant rotates around the sun every 365 days (365 days and 5 hours to be exact).  When you're talking millions and millions of Kilometers (between 146 and 152 million depending on orbit) away from the Sun, 365 days isn't that long :)  So our earth is "flying" around the Sun.  Not only does it move around the Sun, no no, just to add into the mess, our earth also rotates on its own!  That's right folks, the earth rotates on its own and it also rotates around the Sun.  What does this mean?  Well, really no much other than that is how we get our Years and Days, but I'll save that lesson for a different musing :)

{slurp}

Now, with all those moving pieces, things are bound to mess up.  Right?  I mean, nothing in this world (out out of it as the topic suggests) lasts forever.  Therefore, it is only safe to assume that one day either our Sun is going to burn out or we are going to burn up.  Regardless of what happens first, life on Earth is going to end.  Now imagine for a moment that the only thing keeping our planet in this rotational orbit around the Sun is the gravitational pull OF the Sun.  That's right, it if wasn't for the fact we're moving through space, the Sun would pull us right into itself and incinerate Earth.  Why doesn't this happen?  Well to put it simply, the movement and speed at which the Earth moves is enough to keep it away from the Sun while the Sun's pull on the Earth is great enough to keep the Earth from flying off into deep space.  Make sense?  If not, look up the term centrifugal force.

{slurp}

So why the lesson on the Earth's rotation?  Well, I had started to theorize a potential cause for Global Warming.  You see, I'm a firm believer that nothing is perfect.  People are not perfect, man made machines are not perfect and therefore, if nothing on earth is deemed "perfect", then nothing outside of Earth should be either.  If you believe that, then the orbit of the Earth around the Sun CAN'T be perfect.  If the Earth's rotation is off by a simple degree we will see significant changes to our climate and atmosphere.  What kinds of changes?  I have no idea, but I suspect our ice caps would begin to melt due to the Earth traveling closer to the Sun.  I would imagine more UV rays which cause things like severe sun burns and skin cancer.  I would imagine there would even be situations where the Sun would burn holes in our atmosphere.  Anything starting to sound familiar? :)

{slurp}

Now I'm no scientist, but I do like to think outside the box (maybe I should have been a scientist).  How do scientists on Earth know exactly how far away the Sun is?  How did the measure the distance?  How do they know the distance between Earth and Sun is the same today as it was 50 years ago?  I don't believe they do know and I believe most of the "distances" you read about (as I mentioned in an earlier paragraph) are false and inaccurate.  So if I can sell you on that fact and the fact that the Earth's rotation around the Sun may be starting to deteriorate, then I think I've just explained to you what is causing Global Warming.

{slurp}

Now, that isn't to say we're not helping things along down here on Earth with our technology, machines and factories.  But I don't believe the entire blame can be placed on the Human race.  There are other cosmic forces at work here and just because you can't see beyond your own atmosphere doesn't mean there isn't an entire universe of "unknowns" out there.

{slurp}

Well folks, I'll finish off that thought right there ;)  Thanks for reading.

Cheers,
Al

No comments:

Post a Comment