Friday, June 22, 2007

Making Sense of it All

Morning Folks Good,

Today I saw a kite flying in the air.  The wind picked it up and tossed it like a loving father tosses their child into the air.  I stood for a moment staring at the kite and wondered whether a kite would be fun to fly if there was no gravity.  Afterall, the whole fun in flying a kite is to defy the laws of gravity and having that sense of accomplishment in having something fly, seemingly by your own power.

We take for granted the little things in life.  What has happened to the days of hoops and sticks down the ol' dirt road?  What happened to the days when you could let your children run all over the neighbourhood and didn't fear they were being stalked or kidnapped?  What ever happened to buying a glass bottle of pop (that's right, glass bottles) and a bag of chips for under a buck?

Has the world around me changed or have I changed?

I'm sure my parents used to worry about things when it came to my safety.  But I don't believe there were nearly as many issues in the world as there are today.  I often long for the simple life again.  The life where I can feel safe walking down the street, where a cross walk means stop when someone wants to cross, where everyone knows who you are and you know everyone.  I long for the small town I grew up in and where I felt "safe".

{slurp} (you thought I forgot didn't you?)

Of course in order to move back to the town I grew up in I would need to find something to do to make money.  There just isn't the same kind of jobs back there as there are in the city.  I can't just walk into the local gas station or video store and get a job paying minimum wage and expect to raise my family off that salary.  Can I?

Meh

This is taking me forever to write today.  Even though work is VERY light today, I still find I'm getting distracted and pulled away more frequently than normal.  With that, I will end this for today and pick up on these ideas again on Monday.  Have a great weekend everyone!

Cheers,
Al

No comments:

Post a Comment