Tuesday, October 12, 2004

Bad Weekend

So this past weekend was Thanksgiving here in Canada. It’s hard to imagine how such a “thankful” time can turn out so bad. I had a lot of hopes/wants for this weekend, but everything took a turn for the worst.

I won’t get into the gritty details, but my problems this weekend had to do with family and the lack thereof over this special holiday. For starters, there seems to be a LOT of debate on when Thanksgiving day really is. Let me put it to rest:

On January 31, 1957 Parliament issued a proclamation to fix permanently the second Monday in October as “a day of general Thanksgiving to Almighty God for the bountiful harvest with which Canada has been blessed.“

So my family was right, and I was wrong :) Not the first time and won’t be the last. Growing up we had always celebrated Thanksgiving on Sunday. This would give us time to rest and relax on Monday. This is more of a family tradition and not (come to find out) a common one. My sister threw a nice thanksgiving dinner on Sunday and my wife and I went over to partake. My kids were at the mom-in-law’s place despite my want to have them with me that day. The kids love their grandma and I didn’t have the heart to tell them no. A mistake I won’t make again.

One thing led to another and everything ended in a pile of miscommunicated misunderstood shit. There were a few hurt feelings and a lot of empty bellies. Basically, shit hit the fan and everyone was caught in the spray.

A lot of hidden “secrets” were brought out and a lot of revelations made. Yesterday (Monday) we spent the day together as a family. We played, we laughed and made up for missed time on Sunday. I still feel this weekend was a total disaster, but I’m thankful it happened. This year, I was thankful for the truth coming out and the feelings being shared. It will help a lot in the future.

Cheers,

No comments:

Post a Comment