Saturday, September 4, 2010

v39.7: Post Earl Excitement

Howdy folks,

-slurp-

Well, we just had Tropical Storm Earl pass through today.  I must say, it wasn't much of a show other than the car parked by my balcony looking like it was going to flip over when the wind gusted.  I haven't heard much in the way of damages around the city and a drive to the store later today didn't yield much.  There were a few broken trees and a broken fence but other than that it looked like any other storm.

Yesterday I went out and picked up a new laptop.  I definitely shopped around for this one and I'm glad I got it.  It was a little more than I was initially going to spend, but it will be worth it in a few years.  It is a Dell Inspiron 1546.  It sports a nice AMD Turion X2 Dual-Core Mobile 2.2GHz CPU and has 4GB of RAM.  The hard drive is a bit on the small side at only 250Gig, but thus far I'm only using 20% of it with Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, a bunch of other pre-installed applications and World of Warcraft (over 20Gig by itself).  The 15.6" display is brilliant and the back lit LEDs are gorgeous.  The video card is no slouch either (for a laptop), it has an ATI Mobile Radeon HD 530v with dedicated 2Gig of memory.  I've owned laptops before but this is the first one that had a dedicated video card; those shared ones are such a pain.  This thing has full HD capabilities yet only comes with an 8x DVD R/W drive.  Of course it has all the other bells and whistles like webcam, 3 USB ports, SVGA port, 7-in-1 media card reader and much more.  The price tag was not too bad and it was on sale for $100 off.

Of course I'm writing this musing on it right now as I sit in the comfort of my living room watching television.  Oh, and the thing is very light as well, only 5.8lbs (2.64kg).  I'm really looking forward to getting some use of it this fall, especially this November when NaNoWriMo starts.  Yes, I will be taking part again this year and I have every intention to achieve the goal this year.  I have some great story ideas floating around in my head so I'm getting a bit excited about November and being portable.

Well folks, it is getting late and for some reason I couldn't sleep last night (must have been the post celebration blues) and was up at 6:30AM completely exhausted but couldn't bring myself to sleep any more.  Don't you hate it when that happens?  To my mother, I'm really enjoying that "Snipping Tool".  It makes getting images to embed into my posts a whole lot easier.  Thanks for showing it to me!

-slurp-

If you lived in the path of Earl this week, I hope all is well.  I'll see if I can dig up some pictures tomorrow and post them so you can see some of the things that Earl did (bad boy).  Take care all and have a safe Labour Day weekend!

Cheers,

Al

No comments:

Post a Comment