Wednesday, July 7, 2010

v37.7: Some Quick Stats

Good morning folks,

-slurp-

I'm a fan of stats, or more specifically, stats related to my websites.  Stats can tell me a great deal about the traffic to my sites as well as provide me a way to track what kinds of musings people like to read and which ones are most searched on.  I could sit here all day and write about cute kittens and probably get a ton of hits in a single day, but who really wants to do that?

-slurp-

So here are some quick stats for you to enjoy.  Yes, I'm taking the lazy man out today and decided to do something a little more laid back.

For starters, let me give you some quick Wordpress stats.  Wordpress is the tool I'm using to serve my Musings over Coffee site.  It is the application that allows me to publish and allows you to read.  Wordpress has a way to keep track of things within Wordpress like number of posts, number of comments, etc.

Wordpress Statistics

  • Total Posts: 455 (456 including this one)

  • Total Pages: 18

  • Total Comments: 286

  • Total Spam Comments: 843 (these are caught by a Wordpress plug-in and I delete them)

  • Total Tags: 311 (this is considered low I'm told, each post should have several tags assigned to it which help to identify content and allow for easy searching)


-slurp-

Of course these stats are fairly useless, they tell you things you pretty much already know about the site.  Here are the web server statistics; these will tell you how many people have visited the site, where they came from and all sorts of information about them.  I've even added a little ClustrMap to the sidebar of my site which attempts to pinpoint locations of visitors so you can visually see them.  This doesn't take into account past visitors, it only starts recording from the day I put it up.

Webserver Statistics

  • In 2010 I've had a total of 3,374 unique visitors to my site.  These are unique visits not those of you who visit several times a day.

  • In 2010 I've had a total of 9,535 total visits.  These are total visits to the site whether they were unique or returning.

  • In 2010 I've had a total of 66,476 page hits.  This means 9,535 visitors have viewed 66,476 pages on my website since January 1.

  • 67.3% of all traffic this year were direct requests.  This means someone typed in my URL and came here directly.

  • 17.9% of all traffic this year was referral traffic from another site somewhere.  This could have come from a number of sites out on the web that have my URL recorded.  I have the referral data, but it is too long and too boring to share.

  • 12.6% of all traffic this year came from a search engine.  This means someone typed something in a search engine and their query matched something on my site and they clicked the link.

  • The remaining 2.2% is other.  This means my webserver was unable to determine where the traffic came from.  It could be something simple like a browsers it didn't recognize or a web search it wasn't aware of.  There are many reasons why something could come up as other.


-slurp-

Well folks, time for me to get back at it and begin my day.  I hope I didn't bore you too much with the stats and hopefully some of you find it a tiny bit interesting.  I was going to spend some time digging up my 2009 stats, but perhaps I will leave that for another Musing.

Cheers,

Al

1 comment:

  1. I'm reading and commenting from my phone for the first time. The mobile theme works really well. Interesting statistics, you're a reasonably popular guy. big grin

    ReplyDelete