Friday, December 12, 2003

Friday Coffee Musing - v1.2

I know, I know! I'm late today :) I have the day off so I decided to sleep in a little bit (if you call sleeping until 8am sleeping in).

{slurp}

OMG! What did I put in this???

brb

{....}

Ok

{slurp}

Much better :)

This morning I decided to test out my coffee making skills in my little home coffee maker. I must admit, it's quite awful. I'm not sure what's wrong with it. I even read the instructions for the right coffee/water proportions. Alas, I guess coffee is meant to be made by someone else :)

{slurp}

This week has been most uneventful. On the weekend my bro-in-law, my niece, my son and I went out and fired off a couple rockets. It was blistering cold and the snow was up over my knees in places. We made sure to head FAR away from the airport this time :) So here we were standing in the middle of this field; the kids were so bundled up they could have stayed out there and played for hours. Rick and I, of course, were barely wearing winter coats :) No snow pants or proper boots.
It was 'silly'.

{slurp}

ugh

Well, the wife just woke up. Now I'm distracted and can't think of anything to write :) I hate it when she does this.

{slurp}

This past week of work was interesting. I had last Monday off and then today. I also have this upcoming Monday off. I think there is approx 8 more working days from now till January 5th left for me. I'm getting kind of excited. This Linux project I've been working on is coming to a close, Christmas is coming, etc etc etc.

{slurp}

Speaking of Christmas; if you don't have small children (or have had small children), you can't even begin to understand how fun it is for me. My son is always asking me if tomorrow is Christmas :) The tv shows on remind me so much of my childhood. I remember how much I used to look forward to Christmas. My parents did a great job at making is as special as they could for their kids. I plan on doing just the same.

{slurp}

My son has his pre-school Christmas Concert today. We get to go to his school and watch all the little boys and girls forget their places, forget their lines, and just plain laugh and have fun. Should be a good time.

{slurp}

Out of coffee (small cup).

Brb

{....}

You know what's cool? Velcro! What a great invention. It has so many uses around the house or office. The actual idea of Velcro came from a plant called Xanthium strumarium or Cocklebur plants :) I'm sure you've seen them before. Those little spiky balls of fun that attach themselves to your clothes and don't come off very easily? :) There is also another species of the same plant which is less common called Xanthium spinosum. This plant has the same spiky properties, but they spikes are on the leaves.

{slurp}

Now, these 'burs' develop a couple seeds each which remain viable for many years. Since they pretty much stick to anything, these burs would stick to animal fur and get transported all over the place.

{slurp}

Anyway, back to the Velcro. It was invented in 1948 by a Swiss mountaineer named George de Mestral. It was the burs he encountered during his travels that prompted him to investigate to see what gave these burs the unique sticky ability. He decided to invent a fastener that would rival the zipper and he called it Velcro; which is short for Velor and Crochet.

{slurp}

I write about all this to do a small fun activity with you all :) I would like you to think of some applications where Velcro could be used around the home or office. Be creative, capture it in an email, and send it my way (fiendz@telus.net). I'll read through them and post them in the next Friday Coffee musing.

{slurp}

If you want to read any of the previous musings, I've redone my website to be more of a weblog site. You can get to it at http://www.fiendz.net, or http://www.albion-mlf.com/fiendz. The background on my site is actually the background of my desktop which you can view at http://www.fiendz.net/desktop.png or http://www.albion-mlf.com/fiendz/desktop.png.

{slurp}

Anyway folks, have a great and safe weekend. Take care and we'll see you again next week. Don't forget to send me your thoughts on how Velcro could be applied at home and at the office :)

Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment