Sunday, November 23, 2003

Friday Coffee Musing - v1.0

A friend of mine who now lives in Vancouver used to do a morning coffee musing every work day. I used to enjoy getting them every morning and sitting back to read. I'd like to do a Friday Coffee Musing here if that's ok with everyone. Basically, I'll sit back, drink coffee and fill you all in on my week.

On that note; on with the musing.

{slurp}

I'm very tired this morning. Last night I went to our annual GE UNIX Christmas Party and drank copious amounts of liquor. I'm feeling a little hung over today, which is why I'm not thinking straight and decided to do this.

{slurp}

DOH! Out of coffee; be right back.

Ok back

{slurp}

There's something about office cube farm coffee that wakes you up. Not only does it wake you up, but it gives you gut rot by the end of the day. There used to be a guy who worked here named Witold (he was Polish) who used to mix V8 into his coffee every morning. You could tell when a pot of coffee had been 'Witolded' when you saw an upside-down can of V8 over the coffee perk. Just thinking about it makes me ill.

{slurp}

While I was pouring the sugar into the cup I couldn't help but notice the fine print which read: Prepared for Sysco Corporation Toronto, Canada. The first question that popped into my head was: Why are we using sugar that was prepared for a company in Toronto? I live approx. 4,000km (2,484 miles) away from Toronto, so why am I getting sugar that was destined for Toronto? Boggles the mind sometimes when you're hung over and tired. Oh, if you're interested in sugar packets, this site may interest you some: http://www.uksucrologistclub.org.uk

{slurp}

Anyway, back to the GE UNIX Christmas Party. Pretty much everyone in the entire UNIX team was there. We had all our on-site gang from Petro-Canada there, all the guys from EnCana (where I'm at), and all the field support staff. I did, however, notice 2 people who did not show; our managers! Of all the people to be no-shows to a UNIX Christmas party! After the 2nd drink I was over it. The evening started off fairly bland. Same faces, same stories and nothing really new. Rick (Nodrol), Travis (Frax), Stacy (Strehlan) and Colin (Orlach) where there. We sat back and told a few jokes to get the party started. If you've never talked with Travis or seen his excitement in real life, you can't understand. He's 26 years old, and he looks like he's 16. He gets asked for ID everywhere we go. He can be quite hyper, especially after a few drinks.

{slurp}

As more people started showing up, the party started to pick up. We had a one man band that kind of stood in the corner and played tunes on his guitar. The party was in an Italian restaurant which we had rented for the evening. The waiters were top notch! Every time my drink was getting down to the bottom, they were there with a new one ready to swap out. It was a 5-course meal with a really nice chicken main. Overall it was a good night.

{slurp}

Now one must ask themselves if everyone on the UNIX team was at the party, who was making sure the servers were still running? Well, Kip can vouch for me here. Unlike Windows servers, UNIX servers tend to be more stable and require very little administration.

{slurp}

That's about all I'm going to share today. The rest of my week would bore you all out of your seats. I'd like to actually make this somewhat interesting to read. I'm out of coffee, so I'll say farewell for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment